Round motor mounts on 88 car

j_magers

Aug 26, 2005
Honolulu, HI
Well, I just learned that the round motor mounts that I have on my 90 JDM engine and my new mounts (Grimjacks specs) will not fit on my 88 car. The angle of the mounts are about 45 degrees off, So the engine is in the bay held up by the hoist and a jack until tomorrow when I can get to a machine shop for them to cut the angle on the round mounts.

j_magers

Aug 26, 2005
Honolulu, HI
OK, I have big problems the round motor mounts dont line up with the existing metal brackets on the frame. Has anyone had a problem with using a JDM engine and motor mounts with a USDM frame? any suggestions?

chevyeater

wastegate hose is pulled
Mar 30, 2005
Long Island, NY
You need to use the square mounts and the "ears" from the original engine that go with them. That is of course, unless you want to swap to the 89+ subframe as well.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
chevyeater said:
You need to use the square mounts and the "ears" from the original engine that go with them. That is of course, unless you want to swap to the 89+ subframe as well.

chevyeater hit it right on the head. you dont use the mounts that match the year of the motor, you use the mounts that match the year/subframe of your car.;) that being said, my motor is an '89 JDM GTE, and i put it in an '86.5 chassis. i took the motormounts off my old N/A motor, (and the brackets that were bolted to the block) and bolted the old brackets to the GTE block, and re-used the old style motormounts because they are what fit my subframe.

if you want to use the newer style (crappy-ass) round liquid filled motormounts, then you'll have to get an entire new subframe, which makes no sense anyway! 86.5-88 motormounts kick ass!

-shaeff

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
shaeff hit it right on the head. :p

So, that said... Brand new Toyota '86-'88 mounts sitting here doing nothing!!! I'll figure out what I paid and get rid of them for much less than that.... I have no use for them.

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
I also have an '88 subframe with rack.... and mounts that you can have for shipping cost only. Only if you take the whole deal...will not part out.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
supra90turbo said:
So, that said... Brand new Toyota '86-'88 mounts sitting here doing nothing!!! I'll figure out what I paid and get rid of them for much less than that.... I have no use for them.