Rough idle, smells like its running rich

surf24365

Aug 19, 2006
New Jersey
Hey, i have a1987 N/A...it recently started to bounce between about 500 and 700rpm after it gets off of high idle, sounds almost like it has a set of high lift cams in it, also...it seems to smell like its running rich at idle....i pulled off and cleaned the ISC and tested it, checked out fine....its begining to get sort of agrivating, the car runs excellent aside from the loping idle, no sign of vacum leaks either. any help would be appreciated.

bluedragon17

87 NA-T baby!!!
Sep 14, 2006
Vacaville, CA
nope but mine is doing the same damn thing after coming of the freeway after cruising around 3000-3200 RPM at 70 MPH and shutting it off, then turning it back on it idles around 500-700 and then picks back up after thirty seconds to 800 its pissin me off also ill be checkin it out this weekend to

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
You both could have the same cause, but it's not a given. I'd check the things I'd mentioned before and then failing that check the ISC... especially in your case bluedragon17.

Have either of you made sure you don't have any vacuum leaks?

surf24365

Aug 19, 2006
New Jersey
Yeah....replaced all the vacuum hoses not even a month ago....checked again for leaks, found nothing.....this is killing me, i checked my MAF,TPS,ISC with an ohm meter and the only thing i got a shady ready on was the TPS, i have a feeling it might not be sending a false signal to my ECU telling it the butterfly is open when its not causing it to dump too much fuel in, i'll switch out the TPS and see what happens....

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Does the TPS need to be replaced or just calibrated? The detail on calibrating it are in the TSRM.

surf24365

Aug 19, 2006
New Jersey
Hmmmm...good call, i'll attempt to calibrate it, but i cant see how the calibration would be fine for 2 years after i rebuilt the engine and then just take a crap, it seemed logical that it was the fact i reused a 20 year old sensor....from what i hear quite a few people have been having the same problem....

JesseH

Nov 12, 2005
Englewood, Ohio, United States
surf24365 said:
Hmmmm...good call, i'll attempt to calibrate it, but i cant see how the calibration would be fine for 2 years after i rebuilt the engine and then just take a crap, it seemed logical that it was the fact i reused a 20 year old sensor....from what i hear quite a few people have been having the same problem....
yep, Ive been lookin for a TPS for awhile now.

surf24365

Aug 19, 2006
New Jersey
i found a good junkyard near the shop i work at that has about 6 mk3 and maybe 2 Mk2 supras so next time i'm down there i'm going to grab a couple sensors....the guys over there have been great to me, they let me STRIP a 1987 turbo of everything i could take off of it for 300 bucks, lol....

surf24365

Aug 19, 2006
New Jersey
alright, now i'm pretty thoroughly pissed....i put on a new TPS, calibrated it per the TSRM and now the car will not idle at all, it was pulling a code 41 so i cleared it, after putting the 15A EFI fuse back in and starting the car it would just not idle for anything, i'm out of ideas....

Scruffboy

Dec 29, 2005
Kearny, New Jersey
Hey Surf,

Why don't ya e-mail me at j_calautti@yahoo.com and if you ain't too far I'll drive over and see if I can help. I just went through a "fast idle" problem and got that solved. As payback, you can show me the junkyard with 6 MKIII's. I'm sure they'll have something I can use. In my user name the thing after the j, like j_ is just a dash with the shift held down. I'm chaning that stupid e-mail name, half the people don't know how to get through to me. By the way, I live in the Newark area, Kearny to be exact. Stuck right between Jersey City and Newark, real nice, huh?

Scruffboy

surf24365

Aug 19, 2006
New Jersey
haha yeah man...i know where that is, i sent you an email back, sorry it took so long...i've been busy with some DMV related issues....lol, something about Supra's, speeding tickets and possible 30 day license suspensions......