ROD KNOCK

dorachagi

Oct 27, 2006
Memphis, TN
A few questions on rod knock. I know rod knock can be misdiagnosed easily, but if I pull the plugs one at a time with the engine running and the knocking stops, what else could be the problem?
Is it really possible to fix rod knock? I know the rods and bearings can be replaced, but my situation came from oil starvation, so I'm worried alot of metal could have spread around the engine or that other parts were also damaged that I haven't noticed yet. Even though I caught it pretty quick, is it likely that I'll encounter more major problems even if I replace the rods?
If so, and I'm faced with a full rebuild, should I just buy a replacement 7mgte longblock? I know cars, but I'm not a mechanic by any means, nor do I have access to an extensive set of tools or equipment (I have basic tools, jack stands). I don't know that I could do a rebuild, I think the cost of tools I'd need would add on alot, and I'm scared it would take me a very long time. On the other hand, I know an engine swap isn't easy, but if I can find a decent guide to it a friend and I with some of his tools could probably pull it off ourselves. I've never rebuilt or swapped an engine (I've removed, but not installed one), but it just seems like a swap requires less specialized tools and knowledge, and has less chance of a small error ruining everything than if I tried to rebuild the internals.
But I'm just guessing at this, and I think alot of you know far more than I do, so if you were me, would you go rebuild, swap, or just fork over cash to a shop? I have a budget, just got a decent new job so I could let the visa card take a hit, but not a big one. But I'm not opposed to working on the car, I'd prefer fix it myself if it's feasible, but is it something I could really do myself or will I end up having to take it in anyway? How much would your recommendation cost, in money and time?
If you've gone through any of this please let me know what you did and how it turned out. And if you know of a reliable place for 7mgte's please share.
Thanks for any and all help......

againstdawall06

Dec 8, 2005
mo
well if you drove your engine with rod knock, youve likly spun a bearing or 2. in that case you prolly bent your crank, and ruined a few of your rods. to have a machine shop rebuild it with new internals will cost close to 3k. i bought a used jdm engine from jdm source. though it is a good strong motor, i would not recomend anyone buy an engine from them because they told me they would do a compression test and leak down test before shipping. it is pretty obvious that they did not take anything off of that engine to get to the spark plugs. btw i might be selling my 7m-gte soon. keep that in mind.