Rod bolts: reuse or replace

jvginpdx

Oct 21, 2009
Portland, Oregon
I bought a jdm 7-mge engine. I loostened the rod bolts so that I could check the tolerances with Plastigage. Most threads on this web site and the on-line service manuals do not mention that the nuts and bolts need to be replaced. I did read some where that the rod bolts are stretch-to-yield and have to be replaced.

This engine is going into a Cressida with an automatic transmission. It will have normal useage, no racing or drifting.

Should I replace the rod bolts with new ones, or just reuse what I have. The oil pan is re-installed at this point.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Correct, there aren't any torque to yield fasteners on our cars. ARP rob bolts are pretty cheap and you need to have the rods checked and resixed anyway usually...

jvginpdx

Oct 21, 2009
Portland, Oregon
This is for my sons car. The previous engine died due to BHG and block corrosion issues. Since I already have the oil pan back on, I will just call it good. If he were a speed-demon or drove the mgte engine I would replace the bolts. I have reused the nuts and bolts in other engines, and I never had issues with the rod bolts. If they were indeed torque to yield, I certainly would change them, pronto.

Thanks guys!