retorque, now smokes

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdmahmed

Jan 8, 2006
Cali
I apologize in advanced for this long post.

I had my 89 turbo rebuilt recently, and just put 500 or so miles on it. It has a stock HG, ARP head bolts, and intake, downpipe, exhaust. I went and retorqued the head today, changed out the plugs, flushed the cooling system, and changed the oil to some synthetic. Everythings back together, and I start it up; no problem. I let it warm up and take it down the block, stop at a light, and I see smoke. I pull over, and see blue smoke (with the wonderful scent of burning oil) coming from the tailpipe. For the next hour, Im pulling my hair out while going over everything I took apart while I did the retorque. Here's where it stands now: blue smoke at idle, very very little while accelerating, very very little while decelerating. Smoke seems intermittent too. It would idle for a few minutes without smoking, then smoke like a mother. Then stop. I drove it for 5 miles after I thought it stopped smoking, and it smoke very little. I got home, and it started smoking again, pretty badly.

The turbo on the car was taken from my now disabled 87 turbo. The turbo had wetness (oil) on the intake side, and a bit of shaftplay before I put it on my 89. Could my turbo had went out by pure coincidence right after I did the retorque? It had not been smoking at all when I drove it to work to do the retorque. Any ideas???

Again, apologies for the long post.

wardog

R.G.V WARDOG
Jan 19, 2006
ALTON, TX
smoke in deceleration means blown seals on the turbo ....99.99 percent of the time...time for a 57 trim ct26 or mayne a 60-1...

loki2043

Jan 23, 2006
Portland, OR
sounds like you got some bad seals that the synthetic oil decided to go through. more then likely valvestem seals. or the turbo seal. one of the two.

KINGPIN33

Apr 3, 2005
Canada
loki2043 said:
sounds like you got some bad seals that the synthetic oil decided to go through. more then likely valvestem seals. or the turbo seal. one of the two.

I agree... stick to the regular stuff... synthetic is too thin for the old motor...

rumptis

나는 제프가 당신을 사랑
Aug 16, 2005
North Vernon, IN
I didn't do a rebuild on my but I did replace the HG and replaced all the seals...I also tried running synthetic and my turbo start using a ton more oil then it was so I had to switch back and that helped a lot.

once I get a rebuild on the turbo I will try switching back.

antman

Supramania Contributor
Apr 6, 2005
TN
i think u should put a few more miles on the motor before switching oils.

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
^^ Was just gonna say that

You aren't supposed to switch to synthetic until the engine is FULLY broken in! 500 miles isn't even close!! Hopefully it's not too late to switch back and let the rings finish breaking in

Status
Not open for further replies.