Replica SSQV refuses to vent

s_and_c

Nov 19, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I have a replica HKS SSQV installed in the stock location through an adapter. The hole in the accordian hose is capped, and the BOV is getting a vacuum from the stock line.

Between ~0 to ~2 psi, there is a light fluttering when letting off the gas. But all the way up to ~8 psi, there is horrible compressor surge. At least I'm fairly sure that's what the CHOOFCHOOFCHOOFing is.

The adjustment nut is backed all the way out, and not adding any preload to the spring.

Are you supposed to use a different vacuum line? Or is there a problem elsewhere?

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
check your vacuum source. the line could be leaking or not hooked up at all.

if that dosnt solve your problem, either take apart the valve and see whats wrong or get another BOV.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
I'd be willing to bet that Lagged is 100% correct with the vacuum source. Lots of the stock lines are clogged with sludge from years of blowby - often they don't work when cold, but work fine when the engine warms up the lines enough to melt the sludge.

It's easy to test, though, just throw a vacuum gauge on the signal line and see what kind of reading you get at idle.

s_and_c

Nov 19, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Two more questions. Where does the second rubber vacuum hose for the stock bypass valve go, the one after the 3000 pipe? I see that it runs somewhere under the intake. And what vacuum measurement would one normally get from the bypass valve vacuum hose at slow idle? 17-22 in.Hg?

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
The routing is complex, to say the least.

It goes from the BOV over the valve covers, straight down between the runners on the intake manifold, turns towards the strut towers, turns again and goes towards the front of the engine bay, then merges into those pipes you see on the front of the intake manifold.

You're dead on with the vacuum measurement.

oscar35783

Feb 24, 2006
Jax, FL
I have the same bov but I have the adjustment nut all the way in. It works perfect. I don't know if that makes any different.

s_and_c

Nov 19, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I finally got a Sunpro vacuum/boost guage and hooked it up to the bypass valve vacuum line, and had 18 in. Hg.

So my SSQV is faulty :cry:.

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
has anyone thought to take it apart and inspect the diaphram for holes? its a very simple device. not much that could be wrong. if the diaphram is ok, then the shaft of the valve is binding keeping it from opening use some sand paper to smooth it out. then your done. friend has a 40mm wastegate knockoff. it was sticking, he was gonna throw it out. i took it apart, sanded the shaft and filed the nick on it and then put a lil grease on it. it has worked fine ever since. never had an issue with it.

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
"does anyone actually have a cheapo one of these working right?"

My $65 Greddy type RS replica works very nicely. The build quality looked pretty good when comparing to my (real) Greddy Type R.

5uprahboy

Aug 22, 2005
Auckland
I have a Monza SSQV BOV.
Its VERY similar to the HKS SSQV.
I had issues with it not blowing off as well. I tried different vacuum sorces, checked the diaphram for holes, the lot. Turns out, the shaft was sticking a little. I put some grease on it, pushed it in and out multiple times to spread the grease, and bingo! All is well.

The only problem I have now is that if I wind the spring all the way out, the BOV stays open long after its finished blowing off (not a problem as I'm MAP), but if i wind it in, so that it closes after venting, there is more of a flutter/squeak noise.

Low boost (0-2psi), or lifting lightly, instead of backing off the gas totally, gives me a flutter.
Higher boost (7psi) gives me a flutter/squeak for a 10th of a second then the BOV vents and then right at the end (as long as I keep my foot off the gas) there is a flutter sound for a second or 2.

Below is a link to a few videos. The drive by, is when the BOV was playing up and giving what I think is compressor surge. The BOV Operation video is with the spring all the way out.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=5UPRAH

Anyone else come across this?

Cheers

Hunt

Wills7MGTE

( . )( . )'s RULE!!!!
May 12, 2006
Jackson, MO
www.myspace.com
I have the Genuine HKS SSQV and no problems yet, a buddy of mine has the replica and it seems to be working but he hasn't been driving it much lately so who knows. When it comes to cars you get what you pay for and usually you get less than what you paid for.

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
I have a SSQV replica.

Upon purchase, it's CRITICAL to tear it down and make sure everything is tight and nothing is rubbing unexpectedly.

I've had this on my '88 for about a year now, it has a high pitch quick flutter with anything under 3 psi, and anything else from there to as high as 18psi, it's a really high pitched chirp.

FYI - Don't put down something you've never personally used. :nono:

-Jeff