Removing Stock Downpipe

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
Some of you may remember I had trouble removing my stock cat back a while ago, I wanted to know before I start this time is there anything else I can use to help make the removing of my stock downpipe easier.

I've got
Torque Wrench set to 44ft lbs
PB Blaster
WD40

My plan is to spray the nuts with pb and then untorque them using the torque wrench hoping it helps make them come off in a cinch.

Anything else I can do to help make sure I don't strip them I have new nuts and I have the craftsman set for stripped nuts and bolts.

Thanks
~jDMMA70

Who

Supramania Contributor
I don't have much experience at removing stuck bolts but I don't think a torque wrench was designed for removing bolts.
Heres what I would do. Please correct me if I'm wrong senior members.

Soak those bolts not just for 1 minute. Why not give them a shot of pb blaster once a day till you get to the weekend to do the project.

Make sure you have high quality 6pt sockets.

Take it slow. Those nuts and bolts do get real hot even when they start to slowly move and they will break. Turn them a little and wait, take a break and let them cool down.

I remember my father once used a air gun on the lowest setting (least torque) on a stuck bolt and basically vibrated the nut and bolts until they got loose.

I've heard of heating the bolts with a torch but I really don't know the method.

blackturbona

May 10, 2007
kirkland
loosen with a regular wrench not a torque wrench, and just make sure the wrench fits snug and u should be fine

edit: ^^^ beat me to it, yea a small propane torch or whatever wouldnt hurt either

suprahabsfan

Boost Addict
Sep 28, 2007
Sylvania, OH
As ssaid, dont use a torque wrench. Also, the longer the wrench, the easier the bolts will come off. Always stay away from extensions and longer sockets, this lessens the torque to the bolt because of the twisting.

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
suprahabsfan;1049753 said:
As ssaid, dont use a torque wrench. Also, the longer the wrench, the easier the bolts will come off. Always stay away from extensions and longer sockets, this lessens the torque to the bolt because of the twisting.

what???

isnms

United States of America
Mar 30, 2005
Oklahoma
i80.photobucket.com
You are trying to remove the downpipe from the turbo with the elbow still attached to the downpipe and Not trying to remove the downpipe from the elbow; Right?

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
isnms;1049780 said:
You are trying to remove the downpipe from the turbo with the elbow still attached to the downpipe and Not trying to remove the downpipe from the elbow; Right?

no im just trying to remove the downpipe

87witmoreboost

Officially HKS'd
Aug 27, 2007
New Hampshire
+3 no torque wrench - you're chancing taking away it's calibration.

PB blast the bolts and threads and turn slow. They will squeak and grind something fierce, and its the built up corrosion stuck in the threads causing a ton of friction. Go too fast and it will heat up and fail.

Other than that, it's a walk in the park.

JDMMA70;1049800 said:
no im just trying to remove the downpipe

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
ill use my breaker bar and the pipe off my trolly jack and ill need some extensions plus soak the bolts in PB Blaster

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
instead of heating up the bolts with a torch, you could always take the car for a quick rip...if it comes down to it.

666theboy

BEAST
May 4, 2008
wales
adampecush;1049899 said:
instead of heating up the bolts with a torch, you could always take the car for a quick rip...if it comes down to it.

that would definatley warm them up enough to loosen them,just wear welding gloves while you are doing it
:naughty:

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
So I could only remove one nut off the downpipe the other nuts I had to goto Meineke and have them heat the nut to remove it but they were so bad that the studs came out. I have new toyota studs should I put them through my hks downpipe bolt holes and screw in the studs that way or should I just use a bolt and bolt on the downpipe to the elbow and instead of using the studs? I need help as I only have one stud attached to the elbow right now I need to know what I can do to still be able to bolt up my downpipe.

Thanks
~JDMMA70

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
Rennat;1051059 said:
i would switch to a bolt unless you can properly install the stud. and why didnt you heat them up? i mean just driving there heated the bolts!?!?!

Tried that no worky =)

So I should use bolts? Like a 5/16 or 3/8?

Kemosabe

Cruzin' The Old Pueblo
Nov 11, 2006
Tucson, Az.
JDMMA70;1051099 said:
Tried that no worky =)

So I should use bolts? Like a 5/16 or 3/8?

Metric.....Metric!!!!!!!!
If you use bolts, they should match the metric thread on the original studs. There are no 5/16 or 3/8 bolts, studs, or threads on a Jap Supra. Just metric !
Take your sample thread to Ace, or the auto parts store and match the thread. Or, if the new stud will fit thru the hole and install easily by hand without binding and stripping the threads, then use them.