Reliability?

ettriguen

Jul 30, 2007
atlanta, ga
Ok Here is the deal.
I bought a 1991 supra N/A automatic with 161K miles. The previous owner changed the timing belt, water pump, radiator and valve cover gasket.
I want to know if this car is reliable as a daily drive? what should i watch out for in order to avoid a BHG? will a BHG occur just because or do i need to really push the car in order to blow it? I'm not planning on racing, auto crossing or drifting the car for the time being. I really love the way the car looks so i want to repaint it and may restore the interior.

Or should i just sell it and get something else?

Any answers or info would be appreciate it.

Thanks,

Ett.

CACressida

The Cressida Whore!
Feb 19, 2007
Modesto, CA
Might wanna remove the valve covers and torque down the head and pray to the mighty BHG God everynite to keep him away. Other than that, You got one of the most reliable cars on the road.

TRG22

May 18, 2007
UK
On standard bolts 72ftlb

You could replace them without removing the head with ARP bots or studs, you could then go as high as 90ftlb or so, I read somewhere on here of 105ftlb.

Mark

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
TRG22 said:
On standard bolts 72ftlb

You could replace them without removing the head with ARP bots or studs, you could then go as high as 90ftlb or so, I read somewhere on here of 105ftlb.

Mark
^ wrong bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :nono:

Follow ARP's specs provided with thier hardware our heads AREN'T a solid chunk of Aluminium and will deform if overtightened.

TRG22

May 18, 2007
UK
^ wrong bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Follow ARP's specs provided with thier hardware our heads AREN'T a solid chunk of Aluminium and will deform if overtightened.

Just quoting what I have read on here, glad you corrected me before the guy went of and did it.

Mark

staticpat

Supra Chair!
Mar 30, 2005
Birmingham, AL
The reliability on the NA/s is up there. I beat mine for two years before it died. I still miss daily driving a supra. Besides avoiding BHG, make sure to avoid rodknock. Check your oil often and fix any leaks. Other than that just regular maintenance should be good.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
I daily drive, 50 miles a day... never even a hiccup.

BHGs are brought up WAY too often, most of the time they happen for a good reason, not just at random.

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
IJ. said:
^ wrong bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :nono:

So is 90 ft-lb too high? The previous owner of my car said he went to 90 ft-lb on ARP with a Toyota head gasket...

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
90? 90's fine if the bolts were lubed with WD-40 for the install. ;) Isn't that just a bit higher than the spec for the ARP studs though? Which do you have in there, bolts or studs? Did the prev. owner mention what the fasteners were lubed with when he did that?

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
CRE said:
90? 90's fine if the bolts were lubed with WD-40 for the install. ;) Isn't that just a bit higher than the spec for the ARP studs though? Which do you have in there, bolts or studs? Did the prev. owner mention what the fasteners were lubed with when he did that?
Here's what the listing said, I'm not sure if they were lubed:
New Toyota headgasket less than 25k mi ago
ARP head bolts torqued to 90 ft-lbs

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Not helpful in the least. If that was done with moly that's a hell of a lot of squish the HG's undergoing. It's a bit late to simply back it off, especially with 20K+ miles on the HG (with a composite gasket, it was too late to back it off the minute he did it).

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
probably fine as they usually loosen up anyways (thats why you do a retorque after 500 miles)

FYI: You CAN'T replace the stock headbolts one by one with studs as they won't screw in all the way. You need to clean the threads out and then get them to go in all the way...