recommendations for a good water pump/timng belt.

Dunckel

Jan 16, 2007
Spokane, WA
Yeah but you could spend a $100 more and get a BLUE one from Greddy.
I bought both my timing belt and water pump from Toyota 4 years ago and haven't had a problem yet.

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
i run the 34.99 special at cost less no problem.

non interference motor, no worry about high dollar belt, just replace it more,
check timming every now and then if your worried,

i personaly have had no problems and when i had a rock chip go into my open cover and i noticed it and pulled it out of my belt, i drove the car a few more days and picked up a new belt to install
hole never got bigger. no damage..

if you need to prove a point, a blue greedy looks nice.

also

visit mark over @ vancouver toyota and purchase your oem toyota parts, alot of parts i buy here over a parts store.

noredline

Yeah, I'd stands on that.
Sep 26, 2006
Chandler, AZ
ViR2;906308 said:

I think it's more of an item that it is not needed for that kind of price point compared to a Toyota belt as the belt will just hold fine. Ultimately I believe you are paying almost an extra $100 for a blue belt that merely claims to be extra heat resistant and made from better material. But I have not seen too many threads of "%#$% my timing belt sucks and I need a better one" But hey this is merely my own two cents.

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
I use belts and hoses from Gates and have never had a problem with them. Gates has moved on to manufacture water pumps that again I am not seeing any issues with.

ViR2

Supraniac
May 20, 2006
Lithuania
www.hpaddict.eu
noredline, thats true. But it would be great to see how much hp toyota's OEM belt can handle and if the number is any different from greddy.
Either way, I would pay extra for peace of mind, even that our engine's are non-interfering type ;)

Dunckel

Jan 16, 2007
Spokane, WA
ViR2;906405 said:
noredline, thats true. But it would be great to see how much hp toyota's OEM belt can handle and if the number is any different from greddy.

Contact any number of people here running 500+ to see what they are using.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
ViR2;906405 said:
Either way, I would pay extra for peace of mind, even that our engine's are non-interfering type ;)

HP has nothing to do with the belt's strength.

Valve Spring rate does though and I haven't had a single failure using std Gates belts with the Ferrea Dual springs running to 8300.

Having a new Idler and spring and running the Toyota covers plays a big part in this as the spring sets the correct belt tension then you lock the Idler down to no more than 36 ft/lbs.