quick question about operating temps

#1StunnaVic

Mar 19, 2007
Bronx
my supra is a 89 turbo 5 speed. just got it not too long now. my question is that my supra is operating temp is just a notch over the halfway mark on the gauge and i was just wondering if thats normal. it goes to there and stays there. i took it out driving all day yesterday and even drove it hard for a little bit and still it didn't move from there. My uncle (who has had many supras in the past) says that its normal for supras but i just wanted to double check. I was thinking maybe i should check the thermostat and tryin burping the system? the head gasket was just done 2months ago by the previous owner but its a stock one that was torqued back to factory settings.

Bishop92t

Supramania Contributor
Apr 18, 2005
USA
www.ma70.com
So long as it stays at the same level once it reaches operating temp I wouldn't worry about it. I've seen the needle hover at different places on different MK3's, none with cooling issues. If you're really worried buy an aftermarket water temp gauge. The stock one is not designed to tell you anything more then a general idea of what your temp is.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
What I've found is similar to what Bishop said. It's different for every car. But once you know where the gauge sits in that particular car, it rarely (if ever) moves from there.

Pretty much a moving temperature gauge in a warmed up 7M is a trouble sign.

#1StunnaVic

Mar 19, 2007
Bronx
whew!! thanks guys i was just a bit concerned.
i actually have one but its not hook up
i think i'll do that just to be on the safe side