question for pplz who mic their own cranks and cam journal

suprana1990

Apr 4, 2005
NYC
hi

this question goes to pplz who mic their own cranks and cam journal.
i would like to know what u guys use to mic the crank.
i know it is the micrometer but just want to know what other tools u would use to mic the crank.

any input would be great

thanks

TONY!

Habitual Supra Killer
Mar 30, 2005
Tonyland
suprana1990 said:
hi

this question goes to pplz who mic their own cranks and cam journal.
i would like to know what u guys use to mic the crank.
i know it is the micrometer but just want to know what other tools u would use to mic the crank.

any input would be great

thanks
This is how one of my mic' sets looks like:
303-2652_IMG.JPG

You will figure out quickly how to properly use them if you have sense, and I bet you have enough.

For Out of Round & Journal Wear:
Since I am not a pro machinist, I measure twice to make sure I get a good reading. (If consistent, I record; if not, more measuring.) Measure the crank/cam at different points also for each journal to make sure it is perfectly round.

For Run Out:
That goes to the shop; I won't do that. I don't have V-blocks and it is not cost efficient for me to have the additional tools for that: dial indicator and its stand.

*Note* It is easy to measure outside diameters, but meauring inside diameters (such as main housings/crank tunnel and connecting rod bores) is VERY tricky and needs a cylinder bore gauge which has the gauge on it. Using T-bore gauges in conjunction with outside micrometers (as I pictured) is not as accurate as you need to be. So that should be sent out too.

TONY!

Habitual Supra Killer
Mar 30, 2005
Tonyland
Well with that set you would use the

0"-1" for valve shims
1"-2" for cams
2"-3" for the crank
3"-4" for the pistons

So as you can see, a 0"-4" set works out great for our Supras.