Project Mayhem: I start my MkIII build.

iamtherhino

Nov 11, 2008
Louisville, Ky.
My objective for this project is to build a clean car that is capable of being reliably daily driven but ready to blow out any douche bag in his 5.0 Mustang that feels the need to rev on me. I just bought the 1988 MkIII below from a good friend of mine. It has been his weekend toy since he bought it brand new in 88. It is N/A with an automatic transmission and only 55,000 miles. Please feel free to make comments and suggestions throughout, I'm new to the Supra world so any input is only going to help.

I am currently planning a 5 stage build:

Stage 1- Restoration
Stage 2- Suspension upgrade
Stage 3- Braking system upgrade/wheel upgrade
Stage 4- Paint and body
Stage 5- Engine/trans build

I am currently working on Stage 1. So far I've been working on general tune up stuff and replacing some of the worn out or missing bits here and there. Hopefully, in the next few weeks I'll have all that stuff knocked out and can start saving money for Stages 2 & 3 which will probably be done at the same time. I figure it will be easier to just wait until I have all of the new suspension and braking components and do it all at once while I have it torn apart.

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 37
  • Picture 004.jpg
    Picture 004.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 44
  • photo (2).jpg
    photo (2).jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 39
  • Picture 006.jpg
    Picture 006.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 30
  • Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    266.1 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

Nomad707

Im From The Bay
Mar 14, 2007
Santa Rosa, California
nice car.. its in damn good shape.. i love that color too.. i got that color on my 87 turbo 5spd...

looks like a PERFECT car for a project.. awesome body/paint.. nice find.

RockPaperSwoRD

I have aCustom User Title
Jul 26, 2008
SanAntonio
becuz it is the blown Headgaskets OIL BURNIN GAS GUZZLING v6 DUHH
</sarcasm>
nice car man,do you plan on keeping it auto or are you going 5spd along with the swap?

arizzle

Lov'in the boost.
Nov 1, 2006
burnaby, BC
RockPaperSwoRD;1188195 said:
becuz it is the blown Headgaskets OIL BURNIN GAS GUZZLING v6 DUHH
</sarcasm>
nice car man,do you plan on keeping it auto or are you going 5spd along with the swap?

its not a v6 unless im looking at my motor sideways?

but yeah nice clean car man, and 55miles what a good find!

iamtherhino

Nov 11, 2008
Louisville, Ky.
RockPaperSwoRD;1188195 said:

Thanks, at first I was thinking about switching to a manual, but lately I've been leaning towards having a bullet proof auto built. It will mostly be street driven and taken to the drag strip for grudge match racing occasionally so I think that an auto would meet that purpose best. I want to embarrass other people, not myself if I miss a gear :3d_frown:. If I was planning to auto cross I'd go manual, but I'd also not be building a Supra.

arizzle

Lov'in the boost.
Nov 1, 2006
burnaby, BC
Nomad707;1188244 said:
he was being sarcastic..

because silly people always call the supra a v6.

haha yeah i know :biglaugh:,

i took my car to a jifflube, and they popped the hood and said wow a camry motor :3d_frown:!

iamtherhino

Nov 11, 2008
Louisville, Ky.
Well, after a little fried turkey I got out and attempted to do a little tune up work. I got the new belts on and when I got ready to start on the spark plugs and wires I realized the incompetent fool at the auto store sold me the wrong wires. I pulled the coil wire out of the box and it was about two feet too short! I'm glad I discovered this before I started ripping things apart so I could get to the plugs.

On a better note, I've got a replacement for the missing rear hatch trim on the way. Unfortunately, I discovered that water is getting inside through where said trim piece is supposed to be. The good news is that this car has been garaged its whole life so any water inside the hatch is only a few days old. I'll pull the panel of and dry it out went I put the new part on.

I also realized that I really need get hooked up with some Supra friends here in Louisville. Working on cars alone isn't nearly as much fun as when there are several of you.

iamtherhino

Nov 11, 2008
Louisville, Ky.
I've decided to take Nomad707 and Supra28's advice and build my 7M-GE into a 7M-GE/T instead of doing a 2JZ-GTE swap. It's still going to be quite a ways down the road, but I don't think I'll find many 2Js in as good a shape as my 7M considering how low my miles are and how well it's been maintained. The plan is to switch to 7M-GTE electronics, pull my motor, tear it down to a bare block and rebuild it into a 600-700hp capable monster with daily driver reliability. :evil2: I definitely lack the skills to do all of this but hopefully by the time I'm ready I'll have learned a lot more and made some new friends that can help me. :1zhelp:

Last edited:

AbsoluteSpeed

Aug 8, 2007
Edmonton AB
arizzle;1188347 said:
haha yeah i know :biglaugh:,

i took my car to a jifflube, and they popped the hood and said wow a camry motor :3d_frown:!

Ha. You sure it aint one of them 4a-g's with da VVT-i...

iamtherhino;1211994 said:
...hopefully by the time I'm ready I'll have learned a lot more and made some new friends that can help me.
Yea paying someone to build you a motor sucks, ask me how I know.. Its not even done yet and Im broke:cry:
Very clean car though

Good luck with your build.

tbcmorris

SM Expert Thread Derailer
Mar 14, 2007
PRUVEN PERFORMANCE MILFORD CT
600hp daily driver? I'm selling a built 7mgte and going 2j. People are so stupid the only similaritys between a supra engine and a camry are.....wait there isn't any people are just that stupid

iamtherhino

Nov 11, 2008
Louisville, Ky.
tbcmorris;1212446 said:
600hp daily driver?

Well, not really. It won't be driven daily, and when I do it won't be with the boost cranked all the way up, but what I should say is that I want it to be reliable enough to be daily driven and capable of 600+hp in fun mode.