problems starting up the car(also coolant light always on)

JoeyD

Feb 5, 2007
Oceanside, CA
I have an 89 Supra & most of the time when i try starting the car it'll take multiple attempts before it starts up(usually i have to give it a bit of gas before turning the key)... although once i've gotten it up & going, the whole rest of the day anytime i try turning on the car it kicks in just fine on the 1st attempt.. it's just the 1st time i try getting it on each day when this problem happens.
is this normal considering the car's age or is there a problem with the starter or something?

i had taken the car to a mechanic back in Oct. & then ended up spending nearly $1,000 on repairs/replacements(brought it in originally then because a problem with the RPM's racing up like crazy even when i would be cruising at a steady speed). i remember telling the mechanic about the 'hard start' problem to & after i got the car back everything seemed to be fine for awhile but then the issue with getting it started came back again after about a month.

also, i'm in Oceanside, CA (north San Diego county) & wondered if any of you know of any good/decent/affordable mechanics you would recommend me to take the Supra to? (prefferbly also someone who's well experienced with Supra's).

P.S. i also mentioned in another thread about this "add engine coolant" light that is always on now to. it started by just coming on whenever i'd go up or down a big hill or making a sharp turn.. but now the light is always on. i checked the radiator/overflow tank & the fluid levels there seem to be fine, i haven't noticed any leaks, and the engine temp indicator in the dash shows that the engine isn't overheating or anything. temp is normal... is it just a sensor that's gone bad or could it be something else/worse ?

any help is appreciated. thanks!

thechori

supra-deprived
Oct 3, 2006
houston
the starting problem is probably your starter, i used to have the same problem until i let it escalate and now the starter is totally dead, im replacing it as i speak lol

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
Wait...

when you say it's hard to start is the engine turning over or are you just getting a dead starter? If it's turning over it's probably not your starter, if it isn't... that would be the place to start.

Any codes?

wade3570

Jan 7, 2007
tallahassee, florida
also, you said something about giving it a little bit of gas b4 it turns over?? you shouldn't have to, it's fuel-injected with a cold-start primer valve. check timing. as far as the coolant light, check fluid level in your res and/or the coolant temp sensor... -hope some of this helps

JoeyD

Feb 5, 2007
Oceanside, CA
BorHor, thanks.. i filled the reservoir and yes, the light then went off. cool!

as for the starter thing, well.. i will need to have a friend come over & check what's going on under the hood when i try to start it. hopefully this weekend i'll be able to see what's going on.

oh btw, whenever i get upto speed on the freeway i'll hear this weird hum sound coming from unfront.. i'm thinking perhaps that's just the sound from the intake. does anyone else hear that to?