problems on first start up

well first off let me say im sorry for such a long thread just need help and this is what i can see whats wrong or might be and that i have a few questions on.

also forgot to mention the body is an 88 used to be auto i guess cuz i can see the plug for the neutral saftey switch was jumped and its using a a/t ecu and idk what year the harness is but i know its not 91+ i seen the thread of i think billuk with his harness and my plugs dont really match that

ok so i finally got everything to get my car running for the first time... so a few days ago i go to start it and it sounds like wen the car is cranking that it cranks and then cranks weird and cranks again and again that weird crank. and then backfire. thats my first problem idk what that can be and if thats stoping my car from starting.

seconed is that i have to wire my starter directly to the battory because for sum reason wen i turn the key it dosnt crank.
the third im having is that on the turbo side of the motor i have 2 wires that are cut and have no plugs, and i dont see any plug missing. the color of the wire is solid yellow with a green stripe and the brown marks. the other is like that light green with a red stripe and the brown marks. i traced them back towards the ecu and the greenish plug goes to this plug in the car which is a female plug but has space for 3 wires all together but i dont see a male connector. and the yellow one goes to a plug that connects to the body harness by the glove box. i was wondering if that could also stop my car from running.

Another thing is the vsv things that go under the intake manifold. i know one is egr and the other is for fuel. first off i dont have egr anymore and wanted to eliminate that, and for the fuel one i would like to eliminate that as well good idea or bad. i dont care bout running rich thats the least of my problems..
ok well the car started the other day but idled for about 10 seconeds and then wen i went to give it gas it staled and took about another 10 minutes to start but keeps shutting off, dosnt wanna stay at idle. please help me it would be greatly appreciated.

edit.... i did a wire tuck to the car. i made brackets and put the ignitor, fuel pump relay and that other one attached to it and eliminated the washer cleaner relay cuz i dont want that less things the better.. also if any one has done a wire tuck to their 7mgte can u post pics if possible and location of where u hid things. ill post up pics of what my bay looks like kinda messy but i just need it to run and drive.

Last edited:
im gonna post up the pics through tinypic just click the link and ull see the pics

http://i55.tinypic.com/6yfsm0.jpg

also found this plug in the bay didnt know exactly what it wat used for but took a pic maybe it can help

http://i53.tinypic.com/m7q2wj.jpg

these are the 2 wires that we also in the bay near the temp housing maybe some1 can help me identify it

http://i52.tinypic.com/2m3kbph.jpg

this is the indigo/ greenish color one i dont see the other end of it

http://i51.tinypic.com/30hvm7k.jpg

and these were the plugs near my ecu that didnt have anything connected to them maybe i can find out where these go to

http://i56.tinypic.com/25jgzrd.jpg

---------- Post added at 04:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:21 PM ----------

also the sensor that on top of the coolent housing on the side that can be removed do i need that sensor because mine is broken and i think i heard it sent the temp to the ecu for cold start up. which means it will always be cold and run rich. once again the richer the better lol vroom pop pop lol

17 views no replies common supramania even a little bit will help even if you might think of something anything will help. i know im not supposted to be posting on my own thread this much but i relle need the help and i know other people do also but we can all help eachother out in one way or another. please help me b4 i do what i wanted to do in the first place and sell the car as is and get a bike. i relle dont wanna drive a bike in the winter but i guess ima have to do what i gotta do

gottadiesel

Flyin Low
Feb 16, 2009
Vancouver, Washington
I think perhaps there have been no replies for a couple of reasons... One is the original post is not laid out in a fashion that makes it easy to understand and comprehend... I know I had to read it 3 times times to begin to understand. So it initially looks like a cobbled mess.

So lets break this down a bit.

Do you have a wiring diagram from the TRSM for your car? This is very necessary in tracing out the dead-end wires.

When you did this "Wire Tuck" did you insure that all of the devices that you moved still have a solid ground to the chassis? Many, not all, sensors, relays etc rely on the bracket attachment to the body as the ground (negative) feed for power.

Is the ECU throwing any codes? Do you know how to check for them?

Does the car smell like unburnt gas when cranking and it won't start?

Is your cold start injector installed and connected still?

It does not look like your PCV lines are fully connected, I would advise to connect as stock.

I do not agree with not running your EGR since you are still on toyota US ECU and guessing it is not from CA, but if it was already gone when you got it... well vsv does not need to be there, but make sure vacuum is isolated.

VSV for FPR is not absolutely necessary, I do not have one at this time, though I would like to get replaced... mine just simply failed so have run with out it... it is mainly to alleviate vapor lock between hot shutdown and hot restart, when it is hot outside...

Car does not start with Key - have you checked starter relay function? Are all fuses installed, also check with meter to verify that are good.

This is a start, but there are several questions listed here, be sure to answer them all and break up your answers, so that it is clear as to the information that you are providing.

ok thank u for replying to my thread. and i know it isnt organize correctly maybe i should edit the thread again. and i am 20 yrs old and i type pretty fast and like to break down words as in cuz and a bunch of other words but i am always in a rush.

yes the bracket i made is grounded correctly, as for the pvc and i think u mean as in my catch can i know it isnt connected correctly but i would like to go back to stock but i really hate the stock look, but if that might get my car running rite then im going to do that in the am.
As for the tsrm i really dont understand the manual completely, and i really cant find one for the 88 body and i dont know what year gte i got or harness for that matter. ive worked on hondas b4 and know them like the back of my hand but this is completly diffrent from a single cam. straight 6 and all the vaccume line and everything is kinda weird to me thats why ide figure ide eliminate the ones i figure off my basic knowledge.

as for checking for the codes ummm i know some what how to check. from the little diagnostic box thats in the bay i gotta connect a wire to or something and listen or look for how many times the check enigne lights flash. correct me if im mistaken im going to look into that as soon as im done typing anyway. and google isnt such a good help due to the face it always pull up different info or maybe im just to specific in my searches.

---------- Post added at 03:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:49 AM ----------

i was thinking maybe it can be a ground. so thats y u see the white wires grounded all over but still nothing. and for the starter problem i tried finding what each fuse is for in the kicker panel but still once again google isnt such a big help. i pulled all the fuses and 1 of them was burned so i replace that and still nothing. and the fuse box in the bay all of them are good. this is the part i hate the most is the wiring because it can be anything. i was thinking about taking my whole harness out and eliminating all the wired i didnt need, cruise control and others. if i do decide to take my harness out will i still need to keep the auto part of the harness even tho the ecu is auto? what shuld i do exactly? and thx for the help once again

gottadiesel

Flyin Low
Feb 16, 2009
Vancouver, Washington
What color are the plugs on the ECU? If they are yellow, than your harness and ECU should be 87/88. (perhaps someone else can verify if 89 were yellow also)

If that is the case you can use the link below -

http://www.turboninjas.com/mk3supra/

1/3 way down on the page there is a heading for 1987 TRSM, it is the same for 1988...

It may take you some time and money, but I could not imagine doing much of anything without simply printing the entire TRSM manual. But then again, I work from a home office in which I have a fast laser printer and buy paper by the 5,000 qty box...

If you take the time to get it all downloaded and printed off, I would be willing to even speak to you over the phone to help you understand how to read the wiring schematic, so that you can troubleshoot your way through your troubles... You may have a compilation of issues based on the information that I have read so far... If you take the time to take care of a Supra the right way, you will not want to drive anything else... But it takes time and money...

As far the PCV, it doubt it could stop it from running, but I would search on here and read some threads on catch cans... there are ways of doing it right, but seems to be rare that it is and it can cause serious damage to seals if not done correctly. So if you are not sure, I would start with putting it back to stock, thought stock does not mean you still have to run the metal lines... I have done away with all of the stock metal vacuum lines, except the one that attaches to the side of the plenum.

Also what are your plans with the blow valve that I see disconnected, not sure what has been done to the IC piping from stock, it appears that whole side of the motor has been altered, but I can't really tell how and why... do you have electric fans I assume?

Yikes now my posts are starting to get scattered and ramble on...