Problems diagnosing a non running car

xride63

May 24, 2005
cherry hill
My car just keeps cranking but wont kick over. I pulled out two of the spark plugs and looks like its soaked in gas. I dont really want to keep cranking it cause it looks like we're flooding it. Not the battery cause we are using a cranking assist function from a battery charger.
Dont know what else to look for when trying to get it running again.

its a 89 t

it sat for a while. it broke down about an hour away frmo my house. iu got it towed and it sat since (about 5 or 6 months of sitting).

it kept blowing efi fuses when if i tried starting it. (as soon as id crank, the fuse would be fine if it were only in the on position.)

so it was in my drive way. i replaced the fuel pump and it stopped blowing fuses but still wouldn't start. just kept cranking. i just replaced the injector relay and resistor pack and just tried starting it again. its still won't fire but it seems to be getting gas because it looked flooded when we pulled the plugs. im at a loss. could the ecu have fried somehow along witht he relay? anyone run into somthing similar or know what else to check for?.

where is the ecu located on those cars. (im a dsm guy and im not too familliar with the mk3)

thanks!

1TuffSupra

Sho' Nuff
Jul 11, 2005
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
Have you checked your AFM connections? SOunds exactly like what happened to me when I put an intake on the car and forgot to plug the afm up. Did you get rid of the bad gas in the tank and clean out your fuel lines that connect to the pump?

Ah, but you said the motor smells of gas when pulling the plugs though, that leads me to believe its got to be an ignition issue. Motors need 3 things to run; Air, Gas, and Spark. Have you tried pulling the plugs one at a time and cranking it over to see if any spark is being delivered to them? Have you checked all of your grounds?

And the ECU is behind the glove box, IIRC

Edit: Im a DSM guy too, well atleast I was until I drove the Supe for the 1st time.

xride63

May 24, 2005
cherry hill
played with ti 2 nights ago. no spark. i just ran the fuel pump to a seperate battery to make sure it was good. and i could hear it. i then had my friend erconnect it to the seperate battery while i cranked.

were dumb i forgot the ignition won't spark if it doesn't see fuel. somehow something is wrong between the relay and the fuel pump. fuse is good. i hope its not wiring but it just might be.

i have a headach now. blah.

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
Blowing EFI fuses....

-Check the ground wires under the intake to make sure they haven't become loose?

-Check the little ground strap on the coil packs?

-CPS?

Those are the only things that I can think of right off the top of my head. The grounds being the first to check. Throwing any codes?

xride63

May 24, 2005
cherry hill
could the ecu be blown? im running out of ideas and i need this car to run. im just wondering if its wiring and something down the line shorted. its not blowing fuses anymore. its just plain not working. pumps good. relay should be good. car cranks