Problem?

TakeakiTheDeity

The Deity
Oct 28, 2006
San Jose
www.myspace.com
What might be the problem here:

wen i step the gas pedal on my 87 NA Automatic MKIII and let go... it seems to be clogged or something.. it doesnt release itself and it still accelerates without me steping on the pedal... i have to step it full throttle a few times then it releases and the RPM drops...

but wen it happens again and i stop at a redlight... it drags a bit.. but if i fully stop it... it revvs at lyk 1500-2000 RPMS which seems high...

so i take it home... and i pop the hood... it seems to be really really hot... the radiator makes some lyk "psshhh" noise and the coolant overflow seems to be hot too... haha so i have no idea wats wrong with it... its acting weird... the "birdcage" coolant lights keeps flashing but the coolant is full and been full... a lot of the coolant jus ends up in the overflow tank... so yea... any ideas?

Last edited:

JesseH

Nov 12, 2005
Englewood, Ohio, United States
well normally everyone always jumps to the "BHG" idea, but I would check for those symptoms such as coolant in oil, white smoke, etc... but here are some other ideas: how long has it been since you have changed your thermostat? it could be stuck closed. As for the bogging it could be due to things such as a gummed up ISC, or a TSP thats not calibrated.

TakeakiTheDeity

The Deity
Oct 28, 2006
San Jose
www.myspace.com
x87SUPRA87x said:
well normally everyone always jumps to the "BHG" idea, but I would check for those symptoms such as coolant in oil, white smoke, etc... but here are some other ideas: how long has it been since you have changed your thermostat? it could be stuck closed. As for the bogging it could be due to things such as a gummed up ISC, or a TSP thats not calibrated.

well how exactly do you have coolant in oil? there isnt any white smoke so yea... but im not sure about the thermostat... i jus got this car recently in October and my dad said he had the whole thing rebuilt and tuned... so yea

and may i ask to clarify wat ISC and TSP is?

JesseH

Nov 12, 2005
Englewood, Ohio, United States
TakeakiTheDeity said:
well how exactly do you have coolant in oil? there isnt any white smoke so yea... but im not sure about the thermostat... i jus got this car recently in October and my dad said he had the whole thing rebuilt and tuned... so yea

and may i ask to clarify wat ISC and TSP is?

ok, when your headgasket blows coolant mixes with the oil due to having a broken barrier between them BHG=blown headgastet. if your thermostat is stuck closed that creates alot of pressure and higher temps because the coolant can't circulate, you prob. want to change it soon anyway its only around 5$. ISC= Idle speed control valve, its on your intake manifold. TPS= throttle position sensor, its on your thottle body