preventing bhg

89supra884

Apr 8, 2008
chicago
well i just took the motor and trnas out of my 87 5 speed turbo and about to put it into my 89 na auto, but first i am going to put new rings bearings and hg and studs on. but i was just curious of what hg and sutds would be the best from preventing the bhg

thankyou

billy

7M-KDL

Seeking high numbers
89supra884;1324833 said:
well i just took the motor and trnas out of my 87 5 speed turbo and about to put it into my 89 na auto, but first i am going to put new rings bearings and hg and studs on. but i was just curious of what hg and sutds would be the best from preventing the bhg

thankyou

billy

most people tend to go with a mhg just because they are good for more power. but if you are not going for high horsepower you can get away with using a stock hg. either one you go with i would definitely go with arp studs not bolts, as i believe most people on here would. hope that helps.

edit: properly torqued arps*
edit 2: as for brand of mhg im not sure that it matters a whole lot. some people prefer greddy or cometic while others prefer hks. just make sure you get the right thickness to maintain comp ratio. ie:having the block and or head planed and lapped will require a thicker gasket.

primercrx

Apr 19, 2009
Lexington, South Carolina
-ARP head studs
-mhg....but only buy it once you find out how much machine shop decked your block and head, as you will need the proper thickness to maintain proper compression etc.
-do not put sealant on the hg
-torque studs to approximately 75 ft. lbs.
-enjoy :D

mastergrader007

master jimmy-rigger!
Apr 18, 2009
Ontario, Canada
primercrx;1325365 said:
-ARP head studs
-mhg....but only buy it once you find out how much machine shop decked your block and head, as you will need the proper thickness to maintain proper compression etc.

sorry for the hijack but just wondering something. if you have to order the proper thickness MHG due to the head being machined, then what do you do if you had your head machined, but are using a stock hg???

rayall01

Oct 10, 2008
Westfield, ma
mastergrader007;1325429 said:
sorry for the hijack but just wondering something. if you have to order the proper thickness MHG due to the head being machined, then what do you do if you had your head machined, but are using a stock hg???

I've been wondering that too. I had two stock gaskets sitting on the garage floor, but I went through the trouble of cleaning, and reusing the HKS Stopper from my stepson's abortion, as much for that reason, as for making more power.

MK3.0dudeman

brian L.
Mar 12, 2007
North Jersey
The HKS stopper is the best hg out there for the 7M look a round theres some threads about it.If you do a good job with preping the head and block than you will never need a hg again.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
primercrx;1325365 said:
-ARP head studs

A couple clarifications:
- Don't put any sealant (copper spray) on a new MHG with the factory Viton coating intact...it's perfectly fine to use on a OEM HG or a new/used MHG that has the Viton stripped off.
- ARP spec for studs are 80 ft/lbs using moly for lube. The lube used has a huge impact on the torque. If you want to install studs correctly, the preload procedure should be used.

If you are going to post in the Tech section, make sure the info you post is correct.

mastergrader007;1325429 said:

Most people that install a OEM HG only machine the head, effectively cutting the material removed by 1/3 to 1/2. It will still cause an increase in CR...the amount of material required to be removed from the head needs to be the least possible to get the head deck flat. The surface smoothness is not critical on an OEM HG.

Excessive material removal will also cause problems with cam/valve timing due to the reduction in distance from the crank center-line to the cam center-line. This can be compensated for by using adjustable cam gears and decreeing the cams.

1992supraman

Dec 1, 2007
Corvallis, OR
supraman7mgte;1326087 said:
I've heard that the stock hg was fine from the factory,only insufficient torque on the bolts was done at the factory.Right?Wrong?

Right. I believe they came torqued at something like 55ft/lbs (correct me if im wrong).

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Close - 58 ft/lbs is the TSRM spec...that is too low to prevent the bolts from loosening over time. Reg Riemer had the stock bolts tested for yield...they can go to 70-75 ft/lbs with no problem.

mastergrader007

master jimmy-rigger!
Apr 18, 2009
Ontario, Canada
jdub;1326050 said:
A couple clarifications:
- Don't put any sealant (copper spray) on a new MHG with the factory Viton coating intact...it's perfectly fine to use on a OEM HG or a new/used MHG that has the Viton stripped off.
- ARP spec for studs are 80 ft/lbs using moly for lube. The lube used has a huge impact on the torque. If you want to install studs correctly, the preload procedure should be used.

If you are going to post in the Tech section, make sure the info you post is correct.

Most people that install a OEM HG only machine the head, effectively cutting the material removed by 1/3 to 1/2. It will still cause an increase in CR...the amount of material required to be removed from the head needs to be the least possible to get the head deck flat. The surface smoothness is not critical on an OEM HG.

Excessive material removal will also cause problems with cam/valve timing due to the reduction in distance from the crank center-line to the cam center-line. This can be compensated for by using adjustable cam gears and decreeing the cams.

I am waiting for a set of 2nd hand arp studs in the mail. The seller said it doesnt come with the moly lube. is there a brand name of moly lube or another oil i can use that will give me the same results??

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
If it is moly lube yes...if not, no. The color has nothing to do with what's in it.