Power steering problem.....

tropical 87t

Dec 18, 2005
Lake City, FL
One month ago I put a "new" power steering pump on my 87gte and the pump is fine.

The pressure hose that goes from the ps pump, under the engine, and to the ps rack sprung a leak at the rubber portion near the ps pump.

I'm trying to avoid going to Toyota for this fix. Has anyone done this and/or know whether the engine must be raised slightly to remove and install the new hose?

When the pressure hose goes under the engine where it's just a metal tube, it looks too tight to just weave the new hose through.

Thanks.

tropical 87t

Dec 18, 2005
Lake City, FL
Really, that's very good news. When I was under the car it looked a bit tricky. How much did you pay for the pressure hose?

Toyota wanted $321.00 and Napa quoted me $61.00 for the same part.

Thanks.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
tropical: I just happen to have a brand new PS pressure hose hanging around at my house. I'll search around for it, if I find it, I'll sell it to you for $50 shipped...

mrnickleye

Love My Daily Driver !
Jun 8, 2005
Mojave Desert, Ca
Get some tranny cooler hose 3/8" while you're at it, for the return hose.

My return hose sprung a leak 3 months after I replaced the rack.

Bad timing to, middle of nowhere, 3pm on a Wed after noon before Thanksgiving. 200 miles from destination. Found some old air tool hose from a guy and installed it (lying in the dirt). Added some ATF. Yea !! :biglaugh:
Made it that night. Replaced it with good hose.