Port matching?

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
Don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure on the exhaust side, you want the ports to be slightly smaller than the manifold diameter so the exhaust gases can expand as they travel out of the head.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
radiod;1760937 said:
Don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure on the exhaust side, you want the ports to be slightly smaller than the manifold diameter so the exhaust gases can expand as they travel out of the head.

It's so it acts as a reversion dam.

spooln30

Sep 28, 2006
milwaukee,WI
I always port match the intake manis to the head. You can open the intake ports, you just don't want them to be super smooth so the full and air can mix better before they enter the cylinder.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
IJ.;1760942 said:
It's so it acts as a reversion dam.

That would make sense. Best to keep the flow going towards the turbo than having it try and make it's way back in to the engine ;). For those that might be confused still, I'll lay down an IJ quote from another thread I found...

IJ.;1618591 said:
Think of it as a non return valve for the exhaust port, if the Header port is larger than the exhaust port in the head you have an effective dam.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
radiod;1761229 said:
That would make sense. Best to keep the flow going towards the turbo than having it try and make it's way back in to the engine ;). For those that might be confused still, I'll lay down an IJ quote from another thread I found...

Damn I do post a lot of stuff over and over here ;)