popping sound in dash

92Turbo

hondas suck
Apr 19, 2005
NJ
Heres the story...My car runs great and I have had no problems at all since I had my motor rebuilt by a toyota dealer 30k miles ago. However now I have a popping sound in my dash, that seems to only happen if i use the heater. the car has not lost any coolant, and does not show any visable smoke. Has anyone else seen this happen without it being the waterfall sound of a BHG? any ideas?

92Turbo

hondas suck
Apr 19, 2005
NJ
its strange cause the noise only started the first time I used my heater after the summer.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
It should clear itself out fine if its air in the system. When my heater kicked in the 1st time a little while ago I got a little waterfall too, but since then I have yet to hear it again.

How often do you drive it?

92Turbo

hondas suck
Apr 19, 2005
NJ
ok I have only tried using the heater about two times since I noticed it, so maybe it will clear up if I run it a bit more...should I burp the coolant system myself?

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
I see no need to. I have never "burped" my car before, it always evacuates all the air in the system quite well all by itself. Just make sure you keep your overflow bottle full.

BTW, I see you're from Jersey, depending on where you are and if you're interested my buddy (EdgeSupra) is having a meet this Sunday. http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22915

Last edited:

92Turbo

hondas suck
Apr 19, 2005
NJ
well I ran the heat for awhile and now the noise stopped, so I guess I will forget about it unless i hear it again.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Should be good to go, if it does keep coming back there could be a leak somewhere but as long as everything it working right you'll be fine.

One thing to note, once you fill it, there is no need to open the radiator cap. The more you simply leave it alone (watch the overflow level of course) the more thoroughly it will be able to get ALL the air out of the cooling system since you are not physically inducing air into it all the time. (I'm not acusing you of doing this, just a bit of a tip)

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
92Turbo said:
thats good cause I never even open the radiator cap

I cant remember where I read this, I think Bigarron posted it, but the supra is designed to expel air from the system on its own, there is no need to burp your car. it happens all buy itself, the overflow bottle is part of the process, thats why its bad to drive around with no bird in the cage.