Poly bushing question

Jay C

Sep 30, 2010
Omaha, NE
So i purchased a set of energy suspension front poly bushings from DM today to go with the rear energy suspension poly bushings i have waiting to be installed. I am also going to replace the steering gear boots as they are both in bad shape. My question is does anyone have sugestions of what else i should do at the same time? In case it helps i am still on the stock suspension and sway bars. I would like to swap out both but havent made up my mind yet as to what i want in that regard. I like the HSD and stance coilovers but am not sure what the minimum drop is on them. I have also thought about getting blisteins or illuminas and tanabe lowering springs. Furthermore as it realtes to the sway bars i like the sustec (tanabe) and ST ones but do not like the colors they are done up in. Any help would be appreciated.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
You're going to want new camber bolts as odds are you're going to have to cut the old ones out! 99% of stock bolts are frozen into the old bushings.

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
Newark, New Jersey, United States
Yea its a pain in the ass to do but do able. Just prepare. Lots of blades and a sawzall... I dont recommend heat like my friend did with my car he ended up fucking up the tabs on my sub frame after i told him repeatedly what to do... he "knows" what to do.. yea now its a pain to get my alignment right.

Jay C

Sep 30, 2010
Omaha, NE
i dont have a sawzall can i do it with my 4.5" grinder with a cutting wheel or do i need a sawzall to get at it?

mecevans

Supramania Contributor
Jan 18, 2009
M-bay, cali
Check your ball joints, wheel bearings, and tie rods for play. Stainless brake lines would be a good thing to add as well.

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
Might want to get some new sway bar end links. I had to because mine were too rusty. You should be able to do it with a cutting disc grinder. But check it out before you try it incase you hit the subframe or arm.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
Yes you can do it with a grinder with a skinny bland ruffly 6" blade should do it. Hardware is going to cost more than the bushings themselves thought. You're pretty much going to have to cut ever arm off so get hardware accordingly

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
FWIW... my 87' didn't have a single seized bolt on it. Doing the bushings was a piece of cake. You'll want a few 12" pieces of 3/8" allthread and a set of 1/2" drive sockets to press the stock bushings out though. A press is a big help too, but you don't absolutely need one.

For the sway bar colors... just paint them.

Also.. go with the coilovers over the shock/spring combo. When you start adding weight or removing weight you'll be able to level the car out. I kind of effed myself by going with a spring/shock combo and then taking 500 pounds off the car.

kelson

Apr 17, 2009
Socorro, NM
hmm...I'm surprised to hear so many people have had trouble unbolting the arms. my body has over 230k miles and I just stuck a ratchet on there then basically stood on it. The bolts came right off. this is probably because the car has lived in the desert all its life and doesn't have a single spot of rust. anyways just wanted to say you should check before you go spend $200 on hardware.

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
Kelson, I thought I would be lucky like that. And my bolts DID come right off. Well the nut and washer did. It's when you go to try and slide the bolt out that it gets hard. But once you accomplish the task it is known to be a great upgrade.

kelson

Apr 17, 2009
Socorro, NM
planemos;1794214 said:
Kelson, I thought I would be lucky like that. And my bolts DID come right off. Well the nut and washer did. It's when you go to try and slide the bolt out that it gets hard. But once you accomplish the task it is known to be a great upgrade.

ya, I think what I did IIRC is just hit the top arm bolts with a hammer and they came out easy then used that bolt to hammer the lower ones out. I'm not say it was easy like unbolting a fender, but I don't remember at any point thinking there is no way I'm going to get this off.