Plz help-Ideas where 2 get new TB hose?

grsupra87

Let's go Pens!!
Hi Guys..I put on my FIPK the other day, no problems...surprised at how much a difference it made! But while doing it, the Throttle Body hose split around the lip. I got it on ok for a couple days. I went to autozone to get another 3" hose and the only thing they had close was a 3" flexible plastic hose. I tried to use this, but car will not idle with it on. Also the original rubber hose split completely when I removed it. So does anyone have an idea where I can find this hose? I don't think Toyota could get it anymore? Or do you know a viable alternative? The hose circled and #1 is what I'm looking for.
Also, what is the purpose of this can (#2)? Mine is just an empty cylinder, with a small opening inside. Does it go a certain way? Thanks for any advice!~
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
the big hard plastic tube thing has been debated before. from what I've read the ultimate answer was that its a resinator, completely okay to remove :)

suprana1990

Apr 4, 2005
NYC
jeff at champion toyota or curt at elmhurst toyota will have them.

they sell it much cheaper than ur regular toyota.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
i think i have seen many NAs just remove that crap alltogether and put on a hard pipe. I might be wrong though. i just see no sence in moding an NA. mine will stay stock as my DD.

grsupra87

Let's go Pens!!
^^^^I have FIPK and a 3" straight through exhaust. The advantage is it runs better, throttle response smoother, and its a little more fun, and gets better mileage. If I planned on taking it to the track all the time, then of course a lot more would be done. I have other vehicles to drive daily and to mod. I just love mk111's and always wanted one, and now I am having fun playing with it.
The hard pipe is a pretty good idea. It seems like it would work with no problems....

mrnickleye

Love My Daily Driver !
Jun 8, 2005
Mojave Desert, Ca
bandit said:
what is the little vacuum line coming from the bottom of tube number 2 for??

That line is to provide 'clean, filtered air' to the 'idle-up' valve on the power steering pump, because its a vacuum source to the intake. When you are at idle, and turn the wheels, it puts a slight load on the engine, which would drop the RPMs. The computer would see this drop, and try to raise the idle, causing a bit of confusion. So, the valve keeps the idle up instead.

The 3" elbow cost me $50 at Toyota.
The big plastic 'resonator' (for quieting the sound of the intake air) also helps to keep the intake air cooler as it enters the engine. The exhaust is shielded directly below it, but the 'double-wall' construction of this tube does work.

I've always felt that putting a metal pipe in place of these hoses and resonator will get hot, thus increase the intake air temp.

Imagine how hot the metal pipe would get while sitting at a long red light on a hot day.

They do make an 'insulation wrap' for those metal pipes.