Plenty of supras, not enough time...

reincaster

Dec 25, 2009
Guam
So in October, I bought an 88 NA supra, and man! It's so ridiculously fun to drive!

And within a month, I've managed to collect 3 more supras. First was an 90 turbo targa top for free, but the enging was torn apart and missing tons of pieces.

Then an 86.5 NA automatic for parts, and finally, a complete 87 turbo with a bhg.

The 87 turbo had the head pulled off, machined, ported and polished, and new valve seats installed with receipts from a local garage that does very good work with older toyotas and hondas. New CPS and TPS from the local toyota dealership, installed by them as well.

the 87 cranks, sometimes misfires, but won't start, and that's my project for now. i'm knocking out the diagnosis slowly for now, Fuel pump is good, testing the coil packs/wires today, then compression after I get the pipes off the top of the head. Hopefully it's one of those, or just timing. Never worked with a cps type ignition before, so it's a learning experience.

thanks for the great site, and I hope to learn more about these cars!

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
Been there done that!!!!!! I'm down from a high of 5 Supras to only one now. The best thing about having more than one, is that you always have a 3-D example to look at, rather than a flat page in a book.

Good luck with the projects, and take your time.

Check that your timing parts are all lined up soon. You will need to pull the front timing cover, which requires you to break the thermostat housing loose as well. Then manually turn the crank until it is at the "0" degree mark. Once there, make sure the marks on the timing gear are lined up with the marks at the top center. Then, pull the cover off of the CPS, and verify it's position. There is a picture around here somewhere that shows how it should be. Basically it should be just past the sensor (at the top). There is a mark just behind the arm, that should line up with the sensor.

reincaster

Dec 25, 2009
Guam
Perfect, i was wondering how to check the timing for the cps. The cam and crank timing I'm not new to, but cps is.

how does one check for the fuel pump on these cars? On my other cars, I usually turn the key to on and check if it primes, and check the fuel lines for pressure. It's my understanding the stock fuel pump only comes on when you crank, and gets it's signal from the afm?

pics will be up after new years, I work on new years day!