Pilot Bearing size??

Turbo. Targa. Life.

SupraMania Shirt Slinger!
Apr 16, 2005
O'Fallon, MO
www.geocities.com
I'm having a bit of trouble here guys. My torque converter got here from Yellow13 today (thanks bill :):)) and upon inspection, I've realized...I'm fucked (or at least ATM).

(picture below)This pilot bearing was meant for a car with a manual transmission, whereas I have an automatic tranny. The reason the bearing/bushing is there is because the motor came from a manual tranny. Anyways, am I supposed to find a bearing/bushing that WILL fit the torque converter, or does the torque converter just sit in the block without a bearing/bushing at all? Any help is appreciated, thanks guys :)

~BrandoN~

Edit--Little more info: OD of the torque converter stud is 42.6mm, ID of that bearing is 27mm

Last edited:

JustAnotherVictim

Supramania Contributor
I don't recall ever having a pilot bearing when I had an auto. I don't think the flywheel even had a spot for it.

Don't take my word for absolute truth, it's been awhile.

Edit: After thinking about it for a bit I'm almost positive there wasn't a need to a pilot bearing for the auto. I believe the torque converter doesn't have a hole in the front to allow anything to protrude.

Yellow 13

Lurker
Apr 4, 2006
Fairfield, California
cjsupra90 said:
No pilot bearing is used in the crank when an auto is used. Take it out and everything will be perfectly fine.

:word8kn:

Glad it got there in one piece. UPS dropped my .57 trim and busted it :cry:

Also, sorry I forgot to ship the bolts, I thought they were in there with it. The day after I shipped it I found them under a shop towel...:3d_frown:

Turbo. Targa. Life.

SupraMania Shirt Slinger!
Apr 16, 2005
O'Fallon, MO
www.geocities.com
w00t w00t--didn't you get my IM saying it got here Bill? :D Very happy with it all, as soon as I find some bolts I'll be even happier lol. Anyone know the specs for the bolts from the flex plate to the TC? I have the bolts to bolt the flex plate to the crank.

Thanks a ton guys :)
~BrandoN~

Yellow 13

Lurker
Apr 4, 2006
Fairfield, California
My cousin uses my comp and closes my IM's while Im at work.

I think theyre the same or close to the ones that hold some of the brackets in the engine bay, the short stuby ones. Theres 6 or 9 of them IIRC. Been awhile since I worked on an auto.