Paypal Fees????

supra1988

Just Along For The Ride
Jan 22, 2007
PA
I have seen numerous people on here say to add 3% for paypal fees when they are selling something. I have had a paypal acct. for 7 years now and the ONLY time I have been charged anything is when I ACCEPT a credit card payment. If someone is using their bank acct. to pay you through paypal, there aren't any fees. The only time you have a fee is when you accept credit card payments.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
supra1988 said:
I have seen numerous people on here say to add 3% for paypal fees when they are selling something. I have had a paypal acct. for 7 years now and the ONLY time I have been charged anything is when I ACCEPT a credit card payment. If someone is using their bank acct. to pay you through paypal, there aren't any fees. The only time you have a fee is when you accept credit card payments.

Theres different types of paypal accounts isnt there? A friend of mine sold me some stuff and i used my bank account and he got hit up with the 3% fees.

KeithH

Mar 31, 2005
Portland, OR
Per the PayPal Terms of Service - http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/gen/terms-outside

No Surcharges. Under Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express regulations and the laws of several states, including California, merchants may not charge a fee to the buyer for accepting credit card payments (often called a "surcharge"). You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting PayPal as payment. This restriction does not prevent you from imposing a handling fee in connection with the sale of goods or services, as long as the handling fee does not operate as a surcharge (in other words, the handling fee for transactions paid through PayPal may not be higher than the handling fee for transactions paid through other payment methods).

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
Business accounts such as mine are charged the percentage fee for any money coming in from a purchase. Depending on your volume, the fee varys from 3 something down to 2.2%. Since I do xx,xxx.xx dollars a month on paypal, I am in the 2 some percent range. But I do not nor ever will charge extra for paypal transactions.

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
yea it stupid to ask for fees on top of what your selling for.. Just put a shipped price.... makes soooo much easier..

Just inflate your price to pay for the fee... like most retailers doo.. lol..

KeithH

Mar 31, 2005
Portland, OR
That is true. If you think any seller doesn't just put these fees somewhere else then I've got some great swampland to sell you.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
KeithH said:
That is true. If you think any seller doesn't just put these fees somewhere else then I've got some great swampland to sell you.

I sold something recently and honestly i didnt even think about the fees until the buyer was ready to pay. At that point i wasnt going to say 'oh and add 3% to that!!'.

To me when selling, the 3% isnt a big deal. I get my money instantly rather than waiting for a money order to come in the mail. All the time hoping the MO infact comes and is valid ha.

KeithH

Mar 31, 2005
Portland, OR
iwannadie said:
I sold something recently and honestly i didnt even think about the fees until the buyer was ready to pay. At that point i wasnt going to say 'oh and add 3% to that!!'.

To me when selling, the 3% isnt a big deal. I get my money instantly rather than waiting for a money order to come in the mail. All the time hoping the MO infact comes and is valid ha.

True... but by NOT consciously factoring the fees in your pricing you still factored the fees into your pricing.

I totally see why shopA would want to call out the fees sep. This could mean the difference of their pricing being a few $$ less than shopB and could swing consumerC's sale their way. Even if after all fees are paid the buyer would have paid the same amout at both shops.

Shop A has a SupraWidget for sale for $157 + $5 shipping - paypal absorbed in widget price
Shop B has the same Widget for sale for $152 + $5 shipping + $5 PayPal
Shop C has the same Widget for sale for $152 + $10 shipping - paypal absorbed in shipping

Who get's your order?

To most people shopA drops out immediately. Why would I spend an extra $5 over what the other shops are charging.

Likewise shopC will also drop out because their shipping is higher.

No matter if you order from shopA, shopB, or shopC you will pay $162 for that widget.

Note that no shop will actually call this out exactly like this scenario. This was just to illustrate the point.

Yes... PayPal fees are a part of doing business as are ebay fees. Do you think those brick and mortar shops aren't trying to recover their building investments in the pricing of the items that you buy in person?

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
Usually, if it's something I just want to give a price shipped, I won't mention the paypal fee.

If it's a part that I'm not really sure how much shipping is gonna be or just something that I know how much money I want to make in total then I'll put the price + shipping and paypal fee. I suppose I could just raise the price a bit, but I don't think it's a big deal either way.