overheating after alternator replacement

Drunkendonuts

Feb 16, 2007
Eugene, Oregon
car is a 1990 7m-gte. Ok, I don't know what the hell is going on, a couple days ago my alternator started making noise (or so I thought). After running to napa to get a replacement, on the way home smoke started coming from my engine bay, I pull over and pop the hood and my ac belt is in pieces, I didn't have the ac going at all. So I change out my alternator anyway, I haven't replaced the ac belt yet, and now my car is overheating. Is there something I could have done while replacing the alternator that would cause the car to overheat? Or was it overheating already and thats what caused my ac belt to blow? Maybe the tension of the alternator belt? I couldn't see a belt tensioner so I just pulled on the alternator as hard as I could and tightened the bolt. Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

Frank Rizzo

Banned
Jul 25, 2007
Fixing your girl's car
Drunkendonuts said:
I couldn't see a belt tensioner so I just pulled on the alternator as hard as I could and tightened the bolt.

Wow.

You don't have enough tension on your alternator/waterpump belt. That is why it's overheating. There IS a tensioner assembly, that is bolted TO the alternator. 12mm hold down bolt and 10mm nut to adjust tension.

plaaya69

87T Supra
Nov 18, 2006
Lake County, IL
when you do the alternator first adjust the height of the alternator on the bracket with the 10mm nut and then tighten the lower bolt on the alternator.

Also make sure that the threads line up with the alternator/ crankshaft/ and the water pump pully(which you should know).