Overheat

Status
Not open for further replies.

ians13

Nov 8, 2005
Jacksonville, fl
I blew a cooler line today, the one that comes off the isc and goes into the head; it was in pretty bad shape. well on the way home I noticed the temp going up and sweet smell of coolant I was not fare from home so I was trying to make it but the temp went up not all the way, about 4 marks away from red then it miss fired and stalled so I pushed it off the road threw 3 lanes of oncoming traffic scary had it towed home replaced the cooler line and cleaned the isc on first start up it miss fired and on rev up it smoked black then white. After warm up it idle good have not driven it yet but I hope I did not damage the motor.

is there some type of overheat sensor in these cars to kill the engine, i had the ac on in an attempt to cool it with the fans but that did not work.

Last edited:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
No overtemp sensor. It isn't a diesel powerplant that has no operator. You lifted the head of the block when it overheated. Well, probably.

TrqMnstr

HKS Whore!!!
Oct 31, 2005
Los Angeles, California, United States
p378069_1.jpg
::bhg::

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
As long as the original author realizes it is his fault, and not a design flaw. When you rupture a hose, it is time to pull over and call the tow truck.

ians13

Nov 8, 2005
Jacksonville, fl
well the car runs fine, no over heating but am expecting to do a HG Soon so am not to worried about it.

going to need some ARP bolts and metal HG Gasket which one should i get or do i have to know how much the machine shop takes off the head, what if they don't have to machine the head then what size do it get.

ians13

Nov 8, 2005
Jacksonville, fl
Nick M said:
ARP hardware and MHG won't help if you overheat an engine. Improving the cooling system will.

my car does not overheat it overheated because i blew a cooler line. i was asking about the mhg because i want to get a turbo elbow and from what i read it makes the boost go up and am sure my old hg will not be able to handle it.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
I am pointing out that you blew a hose, and kept driving. MHG, 1JZ, 2JZ, 7M, it doesn't matter what you are driving, you will liekly get the same result. That is all I am saying.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
You need to turn on the heat all the way and at full blast to help lower the temps somewhat. As stated above you should have pulled over as soon as you blew the line. As far as ARP hardware and MHG goes, get ARP studs, they're a little better than the bolts. And as far as pulling the head and having it machined for the MHG, you will NEED TO PULL THE ENIRE ENGINE! If you do not and just resurface the head, you will be right back on the side of the road in short order calling the tow company ;). The MHG needs a really smooth surface to seal to properly, most brands need an RA spec of either 30 or 25 and under (do 25 just to be safe). I've seen TWO ppl recently who just had the head done and not the block, they both got BHG again needless to say. Hope this helps you out some, I'm not trying to be mean or anything, but this topic has been beat in the ground::dead horse:: .

ians13

Nov 8, 2005
Jacksonville, fl
starscream5000 said:
You need to turn on the heat all the way and at full blast to help lower the temps somewhat. As stated above you should have pulled over as soon as you blew the line. As far as ARP hardware and MHG goes, get ARP studs, they're a little better than the bolts. And as far as pulling the head and having it machined for the MHG, you will NEED TO PULL THE ENIRE ENGINE! If you do not and just resurface the head, you will be right back on the side of the road in short order calling the tow company ;). The MHG needs a really smooth surface to seal to properly, most brands need an RA spec of either 30 or 25 and under (do 25 just to be safe). I've seen TWO ppl recently who just had the head done and not the block, they both got BHG again needless to say. Hope this helps you out some, I'm not trying to be mean or anything, but this topic has been beat in the ground::dead horse:: .

so is there a any other hg that does not require you the remove the whole engine, that will hold like 16psi

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
Short answer, no. Long answer.....................no. Clevite's are more "forgiving" than most MHG, but you are def not guaranteed to not get a BHG after installing one and not doing some machine work. As far as (lol) 16 psi goes on a head gasket the was installed on a rough and possibly (most likely) warped head and/or block, no chance in hell of that lasting any amount of time.

Sorry man :( if you want it to last, I suggest to do it right the first time. And if money is an issue, you better start saving up ;).

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
Clevite head gasket? I think you meant Cometic?

You could use a composite head gasket, but you wouldn't be able to safely boost over about 14psi. Oh, and turning the AC on when your car is overheating is the WORST thing to do...Think of how an AC system works, it removes heat from air, the condesor is just like a radiator, it gets hot when the AC is running, and will add A LOT of heat to the already overloaded cooling system.

ians13

Nov 8, 2005
Jacksonville, fl
so a factory type replacement gasket lets say felt pro, should atleast be able to hold 12psi max. am not looking for high boost high hp my 240sx takes care of my need for speed. i need to replace my head gasket because am pretty sure it's leaking coolant into cylinder 6 because it has a dead miss at idle on cold startup for a short time then it's fine.

oscar35783

Feb 24, 2006
Jax, FL
ians13 said:
so a factory type replacement gasket lets say felt pro, should atleast be able to hold 12psi max. am not looking for high boost high hp my 240sx takes care of my need for speed. i need to replace my head gasket because am pretty sure it's leaking coolant into cylinder 6 because it has a dead miss at idle on cold startup for a short time then it's fine.

I have been running 11 psi for a year and half with new stock gasket and stock bolt torque down to 70 lbs with no problem. The problem is not the gasket, it's the low 56 torque spec for the bolts from TOYOTA.

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
The problem is not only the low torque specs, but people overheating the 7M...:nono: When the engine overheats, the head develops hot spots, and then swells, crushing the gasket (usually around the exhaust side water jackets)...then when the engine cools down, the head shrinks back, leaving an unsealed gap, which lets water into the cylinder, or combustion gasses into the cooling system.

ians13

Nov 8, 2005
Jacksonville, fl
tru am going to go with feltpro head gasket kit arp studs. and have the valves done as well. how hard is it to put a oil pump is this thing while it's down.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
johnathan1 said:
Clevite head gasket? I think you meant Cometic?

You could use a composite head gasket, but you wouldn't be able to safely boost over about 14psi. Oh, and turning the AC on when your car is overheating is the WORST thing to do...Think of how an AC system works, it removes heat from air, the condesor is just like a radiator, it gets hot when the AC is running, and will add A LOT of heat to the already overloaded cooling system.

Yeah I meant Cometic, sorry about that. I gotz spun bearingz on the mindz :aigo: .

Status
Not open for further replies.