Oring-ing the Block

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
so we were talkin' in class today and my teacher mentioned a technique that you "Oring the block"
What you do it make a little bead around the top of the block around the bore of the cylinder, then you put a stainless ring in the bead. When the headgasket is on and the head is seated, it seals around the bore allot better. He said it's sometimes done on forced induction cars because of their tendencies to blow headgaskets. He also said that sometimes the same thing is done to the head a little further outwards from the bore and together it makes a great seal for big pressures.
Anyone hear of this bein' done on our engines?

89supturbo

Jul 28, 2006
Delmar, NY
if you look at alot of the aftermarket gaskets for our cars alot of them say bead-type, they have a bead aaround the cylinder to help it seal so really its in most of the cars with MHG's

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
I have never seen a 7m with an o-ringed block, I am not sure there would be room to do it between cylinders. Even if you did manage to fit a groove in there, no metal headgasket out there will accomidate an o-ring. You would prob. have to use a composite headgasket and trim it in the area of the o-ring. I have o-ringed motorcycle heads and blocks, and have always used copper wire for the o-ring, not stainless steel.

boltz

Jun 17, 2005
Van
there is a 7M copper head gasket from SCE... want one i'll sell it to you.

People have oringed the 7m so i have heard. The fact that there is a flat copper gasket (which needs oring) simply says it is possible.

Is it worth it on a daily driver NO because copper headgaskets use also a sealer compound + orings... the sealer prevents water seepage from coolant passages. Over time could possibly leak. These gaskets usually work well in strictly race situations as engine tear downs are more frequent and mileage is low.

You do not need oring on ANY MLS (Multi layer steel) headgasket available. 1 they are too hard and 2 they provide their own method of sealing.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
mattjk said:
yes! that's OLD SCHOOL.

A good metal headgasket will work fine...

Correct. Just because it is new to you does not mean it is new. This is the old way of sealing high pressures.

Proper head and block preparation and that heavy duty HKS gasket will do the job.

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
drjonez said:
werd. nm room between cyls....though i have seen it done.

You got a pic of that, I would like to see that. There is more room on the head then the block. You need to cut a groove in both the head and the block. Sure would be tough to fit two grooves between adjacent holes.

TheDarkRaver

Apr 20, 2006
Newcastle
IMG_0813.jpg

That is my block that has been o-ringed they seem to be stainles steel (my last block was copper or something to that effect). I can take a closer picture if it is of any interest to you, that is just the only handy pic I had..

Also to any one out there I have been told to run a copper head gasket with the o-rings BUT I have already purchased a Cometic MHG could you see any problems running this??

Marc,

boltz

Jun 17, 2005
Van
Did you buy the block from someone who had the orings cut? or did you have the orings cut?

I would not run metal head gasket + orings
I dont think it would be wise to run a metal headgasket with no orings + oring grooves as it is not a flat surface in a critical area.

I have a 7M SCE copper gasket if u want it. Brand new in package.

Orings must be fitted by a shop if you dont have the skill. They will also tell you not to use that MHG more than likely. copper gasket should also use a sealer to prevent water seepage. Your locak performance shop can answer your technical questions.

If you dont want to run orings then i think that block is useless unless there is a way to fill the grooves then surface the block.

TheDarkRaver

Apr 20, 2006
Newcastle
Yeh I bought the block with the o-rings and have since had the block machined 20tho..

Pretty much what you have said is what the machine shop said dont use the MHG and find a copper gasket with the sealant..

How much would you want for the copper head gasket? And where are u located?

Thanks,

Marc

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
TheDarkRaver said:
IMG_0813.jpg

That is my block that has been o-ringed they seem to be stainles steel (my last block was copper or something to that effect). I can take a closer picture if it is of any interest to you, that is just the only handy pic I had..

Also to any one out there I have been told to run a copper head gasket with the o-rings BUT I have already purchased a Cometic MHG could you see any problems running this??

Marc,

nice.

yups, you should use a copper HG w/the o-rings.

zdatsupra

Feb 19, 2006
florida
the rings are suppose to be stainless, they are hard and dig into the soft copper. No grooves need to be cut into the head.
I use one on my L28.
I havent had any problems with mine. I have heard some people having there copper gaskets annealed for better sealing, something to do with running a torch over the gasket before using it. I didnt and mine works fine.

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
annealing will make the copper more flexible by changing the molecular structure slightly, but it can only be annealed once or twice before you start seeing ill effects.