On the road to a private pilots license.

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
Like the title says, a little over two weeks ago I started down the road to a Private Pilots License for Single-Engine Land.

I think I may have just found a hobby more expensive than the Supra! And that’s supposed to be impossible, right?
I arrived here in Oak Harbor on orders at the beginning of the month and proceeded to get registered for some collage. While I was looking around I found the on base Navy flying club. I’ve had two friends get there pilots license and have always been interested in it myself but never had the funds. Well now I have the funds, time, and support of my command so I really have no reason not to. While it still costs a fair amount it is still less than in the civilian sector and they have some well maintained trainer planes, and I get along well with the instructors there. It’s a good environment to learn in. I’m pretty excited about it.

The school is governed under FAR part 61 so the flight school goes hand in hand with the ground school. So I have already logged 5 hours of flight time. The first time I went up we learned the basics of air space navigation, medium bank turns, and simple flight. It was rough at first because some of those maneuvers your body tells you are wrong and resists letting you do it. During some of those medium bank turns all I wanted to do was roll out of it and fly straight and level. By the time we got back to the ground I felt physically tired from dealing with that. We did a debriefing afterwards and apparently I did pretty well for my first time up.

The next time I went up it was much better. I knew what to expect a preformed the maneuvers easily, there was still a little tension but for the most part it was gone. After the review was completed we moved to the next lesson, take offs and taxiing. That proved to be a little more difficult than the aerial maneuvers. The take off wasn’t bad but that rudder pedal is very touchy so every time I would apply the break(which is on the rudder pedals) the plane would move off from the yellow line I was following as I would try to stop. Kind of frustrating, so it is something I will have to work on next.
Some of the ground school studying can be pretty substantial and since I have two friends go through it I have a pretty good idea what to expect. It’s fun exciting and I plane to push on and see what comes of this.

So do we have any pilots on the forums? Do you have and advice for me, word of wisdom and experience maybe?

Here is my little trainer:
It’s a Piper PA-28 Cherokee 140, there were a few other planes but I liked this one.
p606650_1.jpg

7MA61

7MA61
Aug 27, 2006
Sydney
Awesome, I dare you to grow a beard and show up to lessons with a copy of the Quran and see what happens:yelrotflm

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
LOL...I remember those days ;)

Yeah, your inner ear "lies to you"...doesn't match up with what your eyes are seeing. You gotta believe what your instruments/eyes are telling ya.

Using the brakes is an acquired skill...to keep straight, smooth/constant pressure on both. As you've seen, you can turn the plane on the ground with the brakes too...just apply more pressure to one pedal.

It's a lot of fun man...being able to go in straight lines pretty much wherever you want is nice. The freedom and the view ain't to shabby either. Just always remember it's not like driving a car...you must pay attention to the machine at all times. I always remembered what my 1st military instructor told me: In flying, there are Rules and there are Laws. You might get away with breaking a Rule (FAR, etc). If you break a Law (structural limit, etc), you bend metal and just might not walk away from it.

You're gonna have a blast. I've got over 3000 hours military and over 8000 hours commercial (got an ATP). It's one of those jobs you actually like going to work ;)

SupraDerk

The Backseat Flyer
Sep 17, 2005
Tallahassee
Congrats man!

I was actually thinking about trying to complete the process by the end of this year, but my commander (C-130 pilot) talked me out of it as the military is gonna pay me to learn how in a few months anyways! heh

But some advice he gave was (and I'm sure this is probably not a new concept or thought to you) to play lots and lots and lots and lots of Flight Sim to get the simple things like Pattern Work, talking to the tower and Ground Ops down

flight doc89

Registered Murse
Apr 21, 2006
Bessemer, Alabama, United States
ahh, a hershey-bar cherokee. I love that wing; other people bitch about it being hard to land (no idea why), but that plane lands smoother than anything else i've flown (then again, i've only flown in a few other planes :shrug: ). Landing in a stiff crosswind with that plane is interesting, though. If anything, when doing a one wheel landing in a crosswind, you can't see the gear.

As far as advice, just remember that when landing at an non-towered airstrip, don't listen to that dumbass on the Unicom at the FBO, he doesn't know about flying and will kill you. At least, that's what my instructor tells me, even though he owns/operates the local FBO :D

Never forget the Demon Murphy. Something will break on that plane, and it will break while you are flying it, usually right after takeoff at about 500 feet. I sometimes wonder about flying with my instructor in that old cherokee; that plane has lost one engine after an oil-hose popped off in flight(~20 years ago???) and eaten a valve on this one(~8-10 years ago???) in the past. I can only wonder whats next :). Neither incident resulted in a crash, btw. Meh, that plane is invincible if you don't fuck up too badly :).

You fly a tight pattern or a long one? (not important, i'm just curious :))

trucker

Feb 18, 2006
i'm bad, i'm nationwide
i was planning on flying back before supras, might do it after the supe is done.

the old lady wanted me to find a hobby, wanted me to buy a bike...i told her a cessna 150 would be cheaper than a harley.30 minuted later she calls me back with prices on hanger fees, fuel costs, and found 3 cfi's that would work with me at a very reasonable cost if i brought my own plane.

then i went shopping for a 150...found a nice 76, 2500 hours on airframe, 250 on powerplant, set up for ifr, pretty white and red paint, for like $15k.

turns out i'm about 4 inches too tall and too heavy for anything other than me and fuel on the plane...

i'm waiting for the corvair cruiser to come on the market...

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
who8mybrownie: Thanks! And welcome to this one.:icon_bigg

7MA61
: I might get away with the Koran but my LCPO would have my shorts if I tried not shaving for even a day.:icon_conf

Ric: You a funny guy. :D Thanks.

Jdub: Appreciate the words; I was hoping you would chime in. Like anything I’m sure it just takes practice. It’s just frustrating because I know what I want my feet to do, but they don’t have the muscle memory yet to do it correctly. Just like the first time using a clutch, sometimes it takes a little while to learn how to be smooth with it. The difference is this is an expensive machine with a whirling blade of death so screw ups are major no no’s. But with a little practice and time I’ll get it. It truly is a wonderful thing, I look forward to each lesson and the day I can go up for my first solo. 3000 and 8000 hours huh, looks like I got a lot of catching up to do. ;)

SupraDerk: Thanks, It is a very exciting experience. You get to go learn on the real noise makers, that must be real neat. As far as the sim goes I picked up Microsoft’s FlightSimX the other day. It is a real nice program and will help me a lot in-between actual flights. I’m currently looking for a piper like mine to load into the program so it will be a little more relevant. The Cessna the use in the program is a little more advanced than my trainer.

flight doc89: Thanks for the input. I like my little trainer. I’ve been up in the Cessna 172’s that most people learn on and I liked the Cherokee a little more. I can see why some people think it’s difficult, as you get close to the ground the ground effect of the low wing just kind of makes you float in the air for a sec before you touch down. The Cessna’s pretty well just drop out of the sky when you get close to the ground. As far as Murphy goes, me and him have met on many a occasion, in fact he comes over so often he and I are drinking buddies. He is the guy that holds my beer when I say, “watch this”. The club is pretty big and has good revenue so the air craft are taken care of on an impressive level. Any and all discrepancies are logged and taken care of immediately, as well as all the PM’s are hit on the dot. So my time with Murphy is kept to a minimum.

Ric: I bet if we detuned the 7M to 140Hp and never revved the motor past 2500 RPM’s It would be a pretty reliable engine :p
That said, it weighs almost twice as much as the airplane engine. So it probably wouldn’t work.

Trucker: Yeah, it is deffintly looking like an expensive hobbie. That's not a bad price for the 150, but yeah those are small. I'll have to look at this corvair cruiser, I hadn't heard much about that.

trucker

Feb 18, 2006
i'm bad, i'm nationwide
it's a composite kit based on the corvair flat6 some dude has been working on it in florida for a while, several beta kits already around, they just put up pricing a few months ago, looks likethe whole thing could be done for about 20k, with like 600 hr build time.

www.corvaircruiser.com

yankiwi

Aug 27, 2005
DFW
Nice!!!!

Have fun Dirgle, flying is a blast:biglaugh:

I soloed in a cherokee, great little plane. Also instructed in them, among others, for a few years.

Are you just doing this for fun, or are you contemplating a career?

10 years making a living as a pilot for me and I love every minute of it. Let us know your progress, and if you need help just ask. I am still a CFI, just don't use it much anymore but I would be glad to help.

Craig.

flight doc89

Registered Murse
Apr 21, 2006
I wanna take an old aviation engine and make something fun with it. Even that little old cherokee has got a 320 cubic inch engine, as light and simple as it is, should be able to have fun. just find a junk plane somewhere. a local guy struck gold recently. some guy disappeared and stopped paying hangar rent, and all that was in there was a stripped out commander or comanche or something, i dont really remember, but the owner just wanted hangar cleaned out, so this guy picked up a pair of turbo O-360's with props for like $200. now he's worked out a deal to trade one engine for a rebuild on the other ($15,000) and traded a prop for a rebuild on the other prop ($2500-$3000) an now he's contemplating building another RV

yankiwi

Aug 27, 2005
DFW
Damn flight doc, I wish I had luck like that....... Your buddy got a steal.

I am slowly building an RV-8, great airplane but it's not cheap to buy anything aviation related:aigo:

flight doc89

Registered Murse
Apr 21, 2006
yeah, i dunno how some businesses survive. I remember reading about some firefighter group (they dropped water, not smokejumpers) that was replacing 1-2 cylinders each night. dayum, that has to run the bill up.
A little bulb in the nav/com of a 20year old citation is $150
If i remember correctly, keyed gas caps for a kingair (either a C90 or an F90) were gonna cost a local owner like $1500 a pop (there are 4 caps) (they wanted the caps because apparently some people in southamerica like to do little stuff like pour water in the fueltanks)

My old boss was telling me how they got struck by lightning on final coming in to Destin in a Cheyenne III (the one with the T-tail) and wiped out all their avionics and melted shit around the plane. He said it was the best lightning strike they ever had. You see, the plane still had its factory avionics which were getting QUITE old, and after the strike, he paid a $50,000 deductable for $273,000 worth of brand new avionics :uhh:

I dont understand how aviation engines can be so high-maintenence. I mean, they haven't changed much in 50 years, bout all we've done is go from screens to oilfilters. We're just now starting to put electronic ignitions on very few and FADEC is on even less aircraft.
there's no excuse for them not to last longer, really. 95% of the piston engines operate below 2600 rpms at full throttle, cruise at prolly 2100-2300, I don't know what compression they run, but they are tuned so that they can pretty much never detonate, turbo'd motors in general aviation only bring the pressure to sealevel (i believe the p-51 mustang was supercharged to >inches though :)) They aren't tuned for performance; they are tuned for reliability, yet they just don't seem to be extremely reliable :shrug:

Anyways, some more advice, verify where you really want to/need to go;
Remember that boss i just told u about? He's the one with the Citation. Keep in mind, this plane costs a wee bit to run/maintain (you can rent it for ~$1000/hour if less than 1000 miles, if more than 1000 miles, $5/mile, you provide the pilot in either case). Well, my boss flies from Tuscaloosa, AL to Destin, FL every other weekend or so sometimes everyweekend, i think it was like 3.5 hours round trip. One day, my boss called the pilot and asked him to fly to Birmingham to pick him up (jesus, man, it's almost faster to drive at that point, and a HELL of a lot cheaper). he waits like an hour, hour and a half at Birmingham, just waiting for the pilot. finally, he calls the pilot's cell phone.

boss "Stan, where the hell are you?"
"I'm on final"
"Where are you on final to?"
"Runway xx"
"Stan, i'm on the ramp here at Birmingham, and ain't nobody on final"
"Birmingham? I thought you said Destin?!"
:D

Last edited:

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
Flying certainly is an expensive hobby. Avionics alone can cost a fortune. I'm currently interning at Garmin AT. I highly recommend the *mumble mumble* ;) (I don't think I can say what I'm working on)

I really want to get a pilots license at some point.