Oil-water intercooler

miekedmr

mkiii in hibernation
Jul 12, 2005
Upstate NY
I had been thinking about using the coolant to regulate oil temperature, by putting an intercooler inline with a radiator hose. The advantage is that it wouldn't require a thermostat because the oil can't be over-cooled by the coolant. It might also help get the oil up to a safe temp quicker.
Disadvantages are extra load on the cooling system and lower efficiency because the hot coolant won't absorb heat very quickly compared to cool air.

I looked around to see if theres something for sale to do this, and found one manufacturer. http://www.thinkauto.com/laminova.htm
Does anyone know of any other products like this, or have any insight into their practicality?

koulee

Oct 11, 2005
Well, the automatic tranny on a turbo can put up to 267 psi of fluid pressure, but I'm not sure how much of that actually hits the lines to the cooler in the radiator.

It should be able to withstand oil pressure. Just look at how wimpy the oil cooler is.

NexiusEvaro

Car Noob
May 3, 2006
Blgs, Milky Way
MDCmotorsports said:
IF you take a look at the stock radiator..... there are two nipples on the bottom of it. If you are a 5 speed, these nipples are open.

WALA!

Oil to water cooler.

Oddly enough... I was looking at having my radiator serviced prior to the swap and was going to ask if my unused oil cooler at the bottom could act as my main oil cooler or if i could have the radiator guy add a second and put them in series or somesuch... (I happen to have 3 rads, 2 of which have the AT oil cooler, but didnt get an oil cooler with the rest of my swap set-up...)

Anyone done this or know if it compromises the water cooling potential of the radiator or if its dangerous to the oil system to do this rather than buying/installing a used oil cooler setup?

thanks!

mrnickleye

Love My Daily Driver !
Jun 8, 2005
Mojave Desert, Ca
There is only about 7-10 psi in the tranny oil cooler lines. But the cooler in the radiator is metal, and can easily handle 100+psi. You engine psi will not damage it.

You just have to use good lines.

Most pickup trucks (2500 Chevy & GMs for sure) run lines to an oil cooler in the radiator. (The lines leak after a few years, and we have changed many this year).

mp51998

Apr 10, 2005
Corpus Christi Texas
MDCmotorsports said:
IF you take a look at the stock radiator..... there are two nipples on the bottom of it. If you are a 5 speed, these nipples are open.

WALA!

Oil to water cooler.

I have a 7MGTE swapped into my four wheel drive Toyota pick up and I use these nipples for my oil cooler. I have run it this way coming up on three years and have had no issue what so ever. HTH.

Mike