OIL Pressure Questions

W

womenslider

okay so i recieved different types of advice for increasing oil pressure
1 shimming the oil pump, how do i do it and does it work????
2 Removing the gte oil filter bracket how is this done does it work???
advice if poss guys as i was hoping to try and do this,this weekend

and the big question what sort of increases psi wise are they gonna make if any????
Cheers :1zhelp: :1zhelp: :biglaugh:

macsupra76

May 17, 2005
Calgary AB
I would not mess around with motor oil psi, very risky, i had super low oil pressure from leaking exhaust manifold, and bad oil pan gasket.
Did you try switching oil weigth?

W

womenslider

and ive just rebuilt the motor and replaced the oil pump with a toga high vol unit this is giving less oil pressure than the std one it replaced before the rebuild
i measured all the tolerances before fitting new bearings rod and main and they are good so it makes me think the new pump is shit.

Mr. Y

Mar 31, 2005
80 miles away from Kremlin
2 macsupra76:
"i had super low oil pressure from leaking exhaust manifold"
What are you talking about? Had you cracked head? of just leaky manifold (manifold leaks with exhaust gases - right?)

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
Shimming the oil pump only helps the high end of the oil pressure and doesn’t affect the idle pressure. With out the shim the stock spring is set to release at 40psi. Shimming it supposedly raises that. Then there is an Oil filter mount that has a second integrated relief spring that bleeds off 1/3 of the oil pressure and volume to the oil cooler and returned to the oil pan with out even going through the engines lubrication system. Now I don’t remember how the N/A oil mount plays in to this. But by using the GTE Oil mount the oil cooling is activated by pressure. Not an ideal way to cool the oil. Maybe somebody could chime in on what role the N/A oil filter mount plays in to this.

macsupra76

May 17, 2005
Calgary AB
womenslider; 15 40 is good.

mr.y; i bougth the supra with striped head exhaust holes, and then i made it worst, long story, but no fear i have a new (used) head ready to go.

spray

Jul 23, 2005
I would only raise the oil pressure if you are going to rev the engine higher than the stock redline. You don't need tons of oil pressure at idle either.

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
using the GEs oil filter set up can do no harm to a GTE block which, if you didnt alreay know, are both the same.

there is no danger in running without the GTE oil filter bracket and using an oil filter relocation kit to plumb in a T-stat controlled oil cooler.

SEARCH!!!!!! all this has been covered many times, here and on SF.

W

womenslider

just to let you know guys i checked the pressure with a proper oil pressure tester and im running 50psi hot @ 3000 so obviously the oil pressure guage in the car is shite as it was showing about 28psi so i dont need to worry anyway.what oil do you guys use as im running 15/40 with lucas additive any suggestions or is that cool as ive just rebuilt my baby and i dont wanna do it again if i dont have too

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
IJ said:
A good analogy: the relief acts like a wastegate for the Oil Pump and if you shim it solid it can't open and something has to blow!

basically, he means that if the relief cannot open, then something will blow, which will most likely mean the o-ring in the oil filter, or worse, the filter itself.

-shaeff

suprana1990

Apr 4, 2005
NYC
you might want to change your oil a couple of time to get rid of the lucas oil.
it is no good and i can't remember where is the website for the oil comparison with lucas and regular oil.

i think someone on this forum might able to link you to the site.

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
To address the original issue of oil pressure...while it is true the supra 7m motors do not produce a ton of oil pressure they do however produce a lot of volume. In other words low pressure, but pump alot of oil. I've never seen one have an oil delivery issue with a good working stock oil pump (even heavily boosted cars). Hope this helps.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
there's plenty wrong with the 7m oiling system. search around, and you'll see.

-shaeff

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
shaef is right in that "there's plenty wrong with the oiling system" ...but to be fair to the 7m motor I really think he should have added that whatever design shortcommings the 7m oil system has would only affect a very high reving (alot more than stock redline) very modified engine. From my hands on experience for the average guy (even with more boost than stock and other typical Supra mods) the oiling system is at least adequate. As far as "shimming the relief valve" ...I dunno it sounds Micky Mouse and besides you expressed a concern with oil pressure at idle...the 7m doesnt require much (at idle).