oil pressure at high rpm

jt2ma71

Impeller Head
Mar 30, 2005
Washington State
www.cardomain.com
Posted this at the 2 other forums and didn't get an answer yet. I might get some help from the 1jz/2jz guys here? Here it is:

To the guys revving their motors at say ~10,000 rpm or anything higher that stock limits, what did you raise your maximum oil pressure to? or do you need to? I know that there might not be many options with the stock pump, but I will be running a dry sump with a 5 stage pump. Can somebody please give me an idea of range of pressure I need at rpm's that high? The pump will have an adjustment with a range of about 20 psi from whatever the maximum is. So, If I specify it to have a maximum of 90 psi, I can drop it down to ~70 psi. Thanks for any input!

X-man

Dec 5, 2005
Pulaski,Va
jt2ma71 said:
Posted this at the 2 other forums and didn't get an answer yet. I might get some help from the 1jz/2jz guys here? Here it is:

To the guys revving their motors at say ~10,000 rpm or anything higher that stock limits, what did you raise your maximum oil pressure to? or do you need to? I know that there might not be many options with the stock pump, but I will be running a dry sump with a 5 stage pump. Can somebody please give me an idea of range of pressure I need at rpm's that high? The pump will have an adjustment with a range of about 20 psi from whatever the maximum is. So, If I specify it to have a maximum of 90 psi, I can drop it down to ~70 psi. Thanks for any input!

Ron, I know from personal experience that running oil psi to much over 80 psi has a tendency to pit bearings. Too much oil psi can wash bearings out. I believe in Turbo magazine they did a right up on AEM 3.2 V6 engine and they sighted problems running 100 psi of oil. I build on average of 25 to 30 engines a year. 98% of them are turbocharged and bigger than 700 cubic inches. Caterpillar back in the 80's and early 90's had a version of an 893 cubic inch inline 6 that ran 90 psi of oil cold and about 75 warmed up. When changing bearing in these engines it always looked like somebody had dug or knocked chunks out of the bearing. They wouldn't be worn out just pitted. Cat found by backing the cold psi back to 75 and hot psi of about 60 to 65 this went away. These are on engines that generate 600 whp and 2000 wtq but at 1200 to 2000 rpm. I realize this isn't a JZ engine but you have any engine that is running a compression ratio of 15 to 1 off boost and then putting 30 to now 60 psi of boost on top of this compression ratio plus it is pulling 80,000 lbs down the highway. I just thought this might help answer some questions about running to much oil pressure.
Sean

X-man

Dec 5, 2005
Pulaski,Va
Ron, they had a write up in the new Turbo magazine about wet versus dry sump oil systems. I haven't read it yet but I thought you might be interested.
Sean

X-man

Dec 5, 2005
Pulaski,Va
Let me know what you think of your new turbo. I've got a GT42-74 for mine that I'll be starting on a manifold for here shortly.
Sean

jt2ma71

Impeller Head
Mar 30, 2005
Washington State
www.cardomain.com
Sounds like you'll get yours done first. My motor is far from being complete. and all I have for my header is this so far. If you have a source for a one piece main header flange in 304 or 321, 1/2 inch thick for the 2j, please LMK. Not to mention I still need to plan the modification on the oil pan.

collector1.jpg

collector2.jpg

jt2ma71

Impeller Head
Mar 30, 2005
Washington State
www.cardomain.com
BTW, I specified that the pump have a maximum pressure of 80 psi. So the lowest I can set it will be ~60 psi. I'll probably set it in the middle of the range since the spec for the 2j is 47 t0 87 psi at 4000 rpm I think. Ron

Last edited:

X-man

Dec 5, 2005
Pulaski,Va
Ron I do have a source for the flange. You can reach him at marshall.murray@streetdynamics.com. Great guy to deal with and one hell of a fabricator like you.
I think you'll be fine on the oil pressure. The main thing to make sure of is you can have all the pressure in the world but you need to have the volume there to back it up. It is kind of odd that you read all of these threads for high horsepower 2jz's and they upgrade main caps and such but nothing is ever said about oil psi. Call Larry at Sound Performance and ask him. He is another great guy to talk with and he definitely has experience with high revving, high horsepower 2j's.
Sean

GrandLordKhorne

Evil Turbo Penguin...
Jan 3, 2006
South MA, almost RI
I’m going to be running my 1J pretty fast as well, so I’m interested in anything you fined out about spinning the JZ that fast that might be different from other motors.

Having said that, I spun my 911/930 turbo to 11K. The issue at that sort of speed is not so much pressure as lubricating and protective ability of the oil. My 911 ran 60psi of oil at mid range and 70psi max, which is how I intend to build my 1JZ. The thing that will be different is I will be running a 15w50 instead of my normal 5w40 oil. And as previously stated, make sure you have the volume to support that sort of speed (keeping in mined that at high speeds some pumps actually loose flow).

jt2ma71

Impeller Head
Mar 30, 2005
Washington State
www.cardomain.com
My pump is rated at 12 gal/min @ 4000 rpm (pump speed). I am going to be running it with a 18 tooth pulley at the crank and 32 at the pump. so it will be at ~57%, is this right? It should not have cavitation problems until ~8000 rpm (pump speed) I was told. There will be three sets of springs to play with aside from each set having ~20psi range of adjustment. Ron

X-man

Dec 5, 2005
Pulaski,Va
jt2ma71 said:
My pump is rated at 12 gal/min @ 4000 rpm (pump speed). I am going to be running it with a 18 tooth pulley at the crank and 32 at the pump. so it will be at ~57%, is this right? It should not have cavitation problems until ~8000 rpm (pump speed) I was told. There will be three sets of springs to play with aside from each set having ~20psi range of adjustment. Ron

57% is correct. This means your engine will have to turn 14000 rpm to cavatate. Set the rev limit at 13900 and let her eat! Ha Ha. I have a book that does supercharger pulley's for the amount of overdrive for how much boost you want ot run. Ron, how much did you pay for your turbo flange from Burn's? Thanks.
Sean

X-man

Dec 5, 2005
Pulaski,Va
What about the whole collector? I like the collector design as I'm going to be running a 1.01 a/r T4 housing for a GT42 also and would like to have the split turbine inlet. I'm weighing out whether to build my own collector or buy one.
Sean

Last edited:

jt2ma71

Impeller Head
Mar 30, 2005
Washington State
www.cardomain.com
X-man said:
What about the whole collector? I like the collector design as I'm going to be running a 1.01 a/r T4 housing for a GT42 also and would like to have the split turbine inlet. I'm weighing out whether to build my own collector or buy one.
Sean

The collectors are ~280 for the 321 and ~250 for the 304 (for ONE 3 into 1 collector). A little more for the double slip ones. I have the 321. They're a little high but saves me a lot of time. all I had to do was make the two little extensions and form them to match the turbo flange, then weld. With these collectors and right dia./length runners. you'll be spooling that GT42 like it's a CT26, well that's a little exaggerated but yeah it helps a lot. :D
When I ordered my GT42, the smallest available was 1.15, where'd you get yours?

--Ron

X-man

Dec 5, 2005
Pulaski,Va
Dave Henry(1-701-730-6313) is where I get all my turbo's and injectors and such related parts. You can go through him or Dave Boykin(dbsupra90).

group a supra

SPAWNING AN INTERCEPTOR
jt2ma71 said:
The collectors are ~280 for the 321 and ~250 for the 304 (for ONE 3 into 1 collector). A little more for the double slip ones. I have the 321. They're a little high but saves me a lot of time. all I had to do was make the two little extensions and form them to match the turbo flange, then weld. With these collectors and right dia./length runners. you'll be spooling that GT42 like it's a CT26, well that's a little exaggerated but yeah it helps a lot. :D
When I ordered my GT42, the smallest available was 1.15, where'd you get yours?

--Ron
ron did you get yours from where i suggested