Oil pan switcharoo..

PorterzSupra

Oct 25, 2005
Hebron CT
How difficult is it to unbolt the crossmemeber and take out all the ps and such to get to the oil pan? Would it be just as easy to unbolt the motor mounts and tranny and lift the engine up? (have done it before so im quick) Also one more thing, if I were to switch my shocks out for new TEMS, if they were to go in as a set (spings and shocks already together) would I need a spring compressor tool or would I have enough room with the weight off the front end and the arms droped to slide the new ones in?

- Eric

leemk3

Aug 28, 2005
dont ever release spring tension of a front or rear coil-wound spring without knowlege and proper equipment. to give you a hint of just how dangerous removing springs can be...the "affectionate" name for the tool to hold coil springs down while removing top mounts/perches etc. is the widow-maker.
theres lots of "great" stories of guys who dont know what they are doing releasing coils without a cage or "widow maker" and as soon as buddy-no brains "zapps" his fancy impact gun in reverse, the top spring nut or strut mount comes flyin off-with sping right behind it- and ripps off the jaw of the "technician" ....lots of fun.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
^lol

Oil pan: Take 4

If you got the strut/spring/upper mount all assembled, why are you guys saying he needs a spring compressor?

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
I talked to a mechanic who told me that he used to take springs out to the back parking lot and putting one foot on the spring, he'd hit the center bolt with the impact and send the strut flying towards the dumpster. I thought it was funny. lol

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
Ive actually seen pictures of people cut in half by springs and snap rings...

Any who, you dont' need a spring compressor if you're dropping the front "clip".

If you want to replace the oil pan & gasket, do it right and pull the engine.