oil at sparkplugs

megachao

Jul 22, 2007
Redlands, CA
I have recently discovered 2 of my cylinders had valve seal leak and was wondering if this effects smog testing.

If i was to get it fixed would i have a higher chance of passing cali. smog than if i did not fix and go smog it?

megachao

Jul 22, 2007
Redlands, CA
i know but does valve seal leak effect the cars ability to pass somg.
Cuz theres oil leaking into the cylinder throught the sparkplugs

Fletch124

2jz swapped!
Jul 17, 2005
Reno, Nevada
If there is oil leaking into your cylinders around the plugs then its your valve cover gasket thats bad. And if oil can make it past all the threads on a plug then there is a different problem.

megachao

Jul 22, 2007
Redlands, CA
well theres only oil on 2 sparkplug wires but it was not that much and it were it conected to the sparkplug. the car could not start till i cleaned them up but it starts up fine. sometimes if i let the car sit for a few days when i start it white blush smoke comes out.
and there was oil on the sparkpug where it screws into the engine.
What do u think the problem could be?

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
The smoke is likely from valve stem seals. The oil on the plugs is from leaking valve cover gaskets. Oil can't get past the plugs no matter how much is in the plug well. As for smog there are many things you can do to improve your chances of passing. All depends on your technical abilities and the equipment at hand. With nothing more than a voltmeter, a thermometer, and vacuum gage you can test enough of the engine to be 95% confident it'll pass. That's assuming you know what you're doing of course.