Oh crap....did I kill my car?

89turbosupra

Jun 10, 2006
oxnard
I tried to make my car run better by cleanning the MAF sensor and the TB with some stuff i got at work. I got the MAF nice and clean then sprayed it down the TB. I went to start the car and of course it idle like crap for a couple minutes then idled fine. I reved it a little bit and it stummbled and died. I took it around the block and it ran like crap. It would buck and backfire like crazy at low rpms and only died once at a stop. I took it again and it got worse. Now everytime you tap the gas it stumbles and dies immediatly. but it will fire right up again. It runs smooth if I hold it at 3k but dies once you let off. I need help bad. Do you think I fried the Maf sensor or it could be the TPS.I need help and I have no codes. THe stuff I used is MOC throttle body and air intake cleaner. Any help is appreciated.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Check and make sure your connection to the AFM is good. Un-plug it, then put it back in snug. Make sure your intercooler piping is clamped tight. Blow out your AFM around the sensor wire with compressed air...be careful not to damage the sensor.

Having said that...I've seen several people clean the sensor with carb cleaner...killed every one of the AFMs it was done to.

89turbosupra

Jun 10, 2006
oxnard
Well if it is dead is there a way to know for sure? I cant find a way in my haynes manual. I guess its time for the lex mod and just use my housing till I get the injectors and safcII.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
The TRSM has tests in the trouble shooting part of the FI section for the AFM.
http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/techtips.html

The problem is you may pass the tests...the carb cleaner damages the photo transistor. If you get a Lex AFM, it will need to include the electronics...I kinda doubt you will be able to use the one you have.

You could alway get a MAFT Pro and eliminate the AFM alltogether ;)

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
jdub said:
The TRSM has tests in the trouble shooting part of the FI section for the AFM.
http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/techtips.html

The problem is you may pass the tests...the carb cleaner damages the photo transistor. If you get a Lex AFM, it will need to include the electronics...I kinda doubt you will be able to use the one you have.

You could alway get a MAFT Pro and eliminate the AFM alltogether ;)

Ditto on the MAFT Pro, I will be buying one once i've started the rebuild

confusatron

Aug 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
jdub said:
Check and make sure your connection to the AFM is good. Un-plug it, then put it back in snug. Make sure your intercooler piping is clamped tight. Blow out your AFM around the sensor wire with compressed air...be careful not to damage the sensor.

Having said that...I've seen several people clean the sensor with carb cleaner...killed every one of the AFMs it was done to.

I thought that I had killed mine too because I did the same thing with some heavy duty throttle body cleaner. Turns out though, after resetting the ECU by unplugging the battery for a few minutes, then restarting the car and playing with the gas pedal a few times, driving it around the block a few times, car was back to normal. Runs fine now. Try it out before you pronounce her dead.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
confusatron said:
I thought that I had killed mine too because I did the same thing with some heavy duty throttle body cleaner. Turns out though, after resetting the ECU by unplugging the battery for a few minutes, then restarting the car and playing with the gas pedal a few times, driving it around the block a few times, car was back to normal. Runs fine now. Try it out before you pronounce her dead.

You sir are a lucky man ;)

That's what I was trying to get him to do as well. Re-setting the ECU may well help, but if the photo transistor is toast...party over.

xXxICExXx

Aug 6, 2006
Abbotsford, BC, Canada
I had the same problem 2 weeks ago.....I just let my AFM sit for 2 days and dry completely and it worked fine afterwards, after a bit of idling and driving around the block.