no thermostat

ThirstyMKthrice

Feb 26, 2008
Austin, TX
www.myspace.com
im in the midst of rebuilding my 89turbo. it started smoking real bad and i thought it was a bhg, turns out it was valve stem seals and all that. while i was disassembling everything i took the upper rad hose off and found out i didnt even have a thermostat in my car. i was just wondering if this would cause any problems i havnt found out yet.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
ThirstyMKthrice;993850 said:
im in the midst of rebuilding my 89turbo. it started smoking real bad and i thought it was a bhg, turns out it was valve stem seals and all that. while i was disassembling everything i took the upper rad hose off and found out i didnt even have a thermostat in my car. i was just wondering if this would cause any problems i havnt found out yet.

maybe some premature cylinder wear...but nothing too serious I'm sure but it will make you run pretty rich untill you finally reach the right engine temps.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
You cylinders will be washed down with fuel more, thus seeping down into your motor oil. The ECU will see the motor as being cold for a lot longer and keep pouring more fuel into it, trying to do the regular warm up to get it to operating temps.

Keep the t-stat in there, if the Toyota engineers thought they didn't need one, they would have left it off.

FlikRacing

Banned
Apr 2, 2008
Michigan
From what iv known if you take off your egr, your cylinder temp will rise, inert gas from the exhaust ( burned ) goes back into your intake which loweres the temps, just keep the egr.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
ThirstyMKthrice;994198 said:
there are no pluses to running without a thermo? im just wondering why the previous owner did that. also ive only got one EGR component left. just a VSV and its plugged up too. is that bad?

No, there are no real pluses to not running one, unless you count the few ounces it weighs as weight savings.

The thermostat in addition to maintianing a minumum temp, holds coolant in the engine, allowing it to absorb engine heat. This doesn't happen as well without the thermostat.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
swaq;994934 said:
I took my thermostat out when I was trying to flush my coolant last year. It leaked noticeably. In retrospect I should have tried to leave the gasket in there...

that would be very hard to get the thermo out without takeing the gasket with it!!! I think it would be damn near impossible LOL cause the gasket is to be slipped on around the thermo and then to be placed in the houseing as one....I just replaced my thermo and I noticed that the little recess it sits in had a bunch of crap built up, I had to take a small scraper of sorts and clean it all out so the new gasket could seat properly and maybe this is why you leakeda little.