No power

HKS-PWR

May 23, 2007
Vancouver, BC
I bought my supra about a month ago and it ran great just until yesterday (but it was leaking oil pretty significantly if that has anything to do with it). No smoke, no weird noises, no CEL. I drove it to work (still running fine at this point), but when I was going home, the car could barely get over 1000rpm! I was literally flooring it, but it continued to accelerate slower than an automatic Corolla! The turbo still kicks in a little after 2k and it seems to help with the acceleration a bit, but it's still slow as f**k. At idle, it seems like it's going to stall, but doesn't. It gets to around 4k until the car finally shifts into the next gear. I'm not a mechanic, so I don't really know what to look for. The car also has troubles starting up also. It cranks, but takes a few to start it up (would start on the first try before). Someone please help as my username now relates to the current condition of my car! :1zhelp: Thanks and sorry for all the text, but I thought it would be best to describe it as well as I could. Stock 1990 Automatic Turbo btw.

Last edited:

zachm611

Beauty In Disguise
Apr 15, 2006
new mexico
kai is probably right, when i first got my car running it ran like garbage and idled like garbage, due to bad hack job on CPS and coil pack wires, also after i noticed i had a fuel leak i changed the injector orings and saw that my injector #6 wasnt plugged in, and my knock sensors were completely busted like someone just snapped the end off of them. after i fixed all those it seemed to run much better and got up to speed quicker. but to top it off i had BHG on the "rebuilt" engine. oh well only paid 1200 for the car not running. runs good now though, anyways good luck.

p.s. i would try and pull codes anyways even if the CEL isnt on...just to see

HKS-PWR

May 23, 2007
Vancouver, BC
okay, so I checked my TPS and it is plugged in. I tried pulling codes, but I think it was already reset because the shop I brought my car to tried putting in a new ecu (they put back my old one when I was checking codes). Still runs like shit! Could it really be something as bad as a BHG after running perfectly fine then the next day turning to shit? I didn't even hit boost when I was going to work and I never beat up on my car either. :icon_conf. Right now, I can't even drive my car out of the garage because it's too weak to go over the bump :(

Last edited:

zachm611

Beauty In Disguise
Apr 15, 2006
new mexico
were you able to drive it back from the shop? i would think after a few drives or whatever it would throw new codes..also i would check your timing, my dads old truck after it was rebuilt the timing was off and it felt like it was under a heavy load though it was just the 2 of us in it. anyways good luck with whatever happens and a BHG isnt really that bad if thats what it ends up being.

HKS-PWR

May 23, 2007
Vancouver, BC
okay, so my mechanic said he found the problem. A broken cam bearing or something (i forgot what he told me :icon_conf ) due to a bad timing belt install. Anyways, he said he needs to replace all this shit and its gonna cost me $370...:( Another $450 because my car is leaking oil like crazy around the valve covers and spark plug wires where it connects to the spark plug (does it really cost that much :aigo: ).

Here are some pics of what's broken.
image668bt3.jpg

image669qp2.jpg

image670um4.jpg

image671tr8.jpg

Sorry I used my phone to take the pics...

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
First off, if the TPS was unplugged the ecu would set one code and display two. Second, the engine wouldn't behave that way. Third, based on what you wrote your mechanic is setting you up for a screwing. If the belt tensioner is bad you could change it yourself in 10 minutes. Since the cover is off the job is already half done. While you're at it check timing and correct if necessary. As for oil leaks valve cover seals are cheap and easy to do.

HKS-PWR

May 23, 2007
Vancouver, BC
ahh, I wish I knew earlier...I don't really trust these guys with my car at all (they said putting synthetic oil in my car was bad...but they did recommend to put Toyota dino oil in it at least... and said Fram oil filters were good...). But I don't really have a choice now..the work has already begun and my mom, who is paying for half, doesn't trust me to do my own work on my car (I'm 17 btw just incase you think I'm some 30 year old still listening to his momma :biglaugh: ). And to top it off, I live in an apartment and they wont allow me to do any repairs on my car...some dumb b*tch ratted me out for changing my oil :nono: ).

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
I see. So I'm guessing Dad is either absent or has been rendered dickless. Perhaps it's time Mom understood that if her little fuzzy wuzzy is old enough to be trusted with his own and other's lives on the road he's on the verge of becoming a man, one who needs to learn how to depend on himself before he's forced to go through life being dependent on those who will exploit him at the drop of a hat. Otherwise you *will* be listening to her at 30. Ponder that for a bit. You might also want to point out to your mechanic the last time you checked Toyota doesn't own any oil refineries and Fram uses recycled cardboard to construct their filters.

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
jetjock said:
I see. So I'm guessing Dad is either absent or has been rendered dickless. Perhaps it's time Mom understood that if her little fuzzy wuzzy is old enough to be trusted with his own and other's lives on the road he's on the verge of becoming a man, one who needs to learn how to depend on himself before he's forced to go through life being dependent on those who will exploit him at the drop of a hat. Otherwise you *will* be listening to her at 30. Ponder that for a bit. You might also want to point out to your mechanic the last time you checked Toyota doesn't own any oil refineries and Fram uses recycled cardboard to construct their filters.

Inappropriate.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Funny, when I worked at Toyota, we never recomended not using synthetics, or using Fram. Sometimes I wonder where these dealers are.