New Supra in 2009

SupraB

Need 4 speed mods!
Jul 24, 2006
Spokane WA
Hey guys, as some of you may know I work for a Toyota Dealer.....
Yesterday I got some great news from our GM, he went to a meeting with a bunch of Toyota Execs and they didn't give a ton of detail, but there is defenitely gonna be a new Supra in 2009 based on the FT-HS concept with a 400hp HYBRID powertrain.... I dont know if thats the only motor thats gonna be available I guess we'll see. Just thought ya all might wanna know. If you haven't seen it before, heres a link.
Toyota FT-HS concept

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
Thread moved to Off-Topic.

For some reason it seems that over the last week or so, EVERYONE is posting about concept cars, and new Supras, etc, etc.

The Supra name is dead IMO, and I don't expect it to be revived, ever.

I do expect a new sports car from Toyota, but I'm expecting a new name for sure. I think Toyota does want to get out there with a Hybrid sports car though.

SupraB

Need 4 speed mods!
Jul 24, 2006
Spokane WA
Jeff Lange said:
Thread moved to Off-Topic.

For some reason it seems that over the last week or so, EVERYONE is posting about concept cars, and new Supras, etc, etc.

The Supra name is dead IMO, and I don't expect it to be revived, ever.

I do expect a new sports car from Toyota, but I'm expecting a new name for sure. I think Toyota does want to get out there with a Hybrid sports car though.

Well its not dead, its gonna be back.... sorry about putting it in the wrong forum though.

BorHor

2JZ-GZE
Jan 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
Actually if Toyota did bring it back as a supra they would get instant hype on it. So it would be a good idea on their part. You know what... there is already a hype on a returning Supra...

whudafux

Formerly dcrusupra
Jan 5, 2006
Cullowhee, NC
www.myspace.com
I'm sure we all want solid proof, not hear-say. I know I've heard this a million times and still the closest we have to the supra is the FT-HS. That might not even be coming out.

In other news, the Dodge Challenger isn't coming out for a LONG time, if ever.

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2007/04/gm_halts_rearwh.html

I guess that's why Toyota is giving their new "sports cars" hybrid engines.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
dcrusupra said:
I'm sure we all want solid proof, not hear-say. I know I've heard this a million times and still the closest we have to the supra is the FT-HS. That might not even be coming out.

In other news, the Dodge Challenger isn't coming out for a LONG time, if ever.

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2007/04/gm_halts_rearwh.html

I guess that's why Toyota is giving their new "sports cars" hybrid engines.

The Dodge Challenger is moving along. There's a member of another forum I visit who works at the Dodge factory in Ontario, they are already getting ready to start producing in early 08 I believe.

mattsplat72

is sofa king
Jan 17, 2006
Sedro Woolley, Washington, United States
IMO if it isn't an turbo inline 6 RWD ...... IT IS NOT A SUPRA!!!!! I mean come on this is no better then an old man wearing "young clothes" . The Supra is dead freaking deal with it . Just because a singer wears black and sings about rings of fire does not make him the new johnny cash. I am so sick of Auto makers reviving old classic names just to raise their profit margins . Damn people are sheep .

suprageezer

Aug 27, 2005
Southern California
I'm with Matt on this one, If it isn't an inline 6 RWD then it's only an emblem but hey Millions buy and boast about their emblems, I call them sheeple, with that in mind Toyota has been selling a Secret Supra for years and you all just didn't realize it, it's called a Lexus SC 4.3 Liter 288 hp V8 and RWD.

da89soup

World I Am Gay Blue!!!
Dec 2, 2005
Fargo ND
OMG!!!! If it happens great??? If it doesnt who cares??? I already own the best Supra ever made its called a MK3!!! It was started by Toyota and finished by me!!!!

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
mattsplat72 said:
IMO if it isn't an turbo inline 6 RWD ...... IT IS NOT A SUPRA!!!!! I mean come on this is no better then an old man wearing "young clothes" . The Supra is dead freaking deal with it . Just because a singer wears black and sings about rings of fire does not make him the new johnny cash. I am so sick of Auto makers reviving old classic names just to raise their profit margins . Damn people are sheep .

Everything cars companies do is to grow and increase profit, if anyone thinks otherwise, they're out of the loop. For what it's worth, who cares? If a new Supra comes out, it comes out, if it doesn't, it doesn't.

I find it highly unlikely that a new Supra will be introduced, Toyota has never done it in the past, and I don't think they'll start now, but you never know, I could be wrong.

Regardless, a name is just a name. If the MKIV was called something else, would it make it a different car? Nope. If it had a V8 in it, would it still be a Supra? Yup.

Do I think Toyota will come out with another sports car? Sure. It may even pay homage to the Supra in one way or another, but whether it's called a Supra or not, doesn't really change anything.