New member with questions...

kamikazeee

Jul 14, 2007
Chicago
Hey, my name is Karl, I live in Tinley Park IL, (a lilttle bit south of chicago). I just came off of a 1991 240sx SE, I did some work with the intake (short ram trough the front bumper :p) I threw out the blown engine out of it and popped in the good ol' KA24de, put a LSD into it, some springs and struts, did shitload of body work and last but not least I threw a 5 speed conv on it. It was kinda nice, i just kinda made it for d-day, but never got there cause my engine blown, and I really needed a car to go to work so I just took my neighors 1985 POS Pontiac Fiero 4cyl 5-speed. It's not as bad as I figured I'm about to finish the interior and exterior (really bad and effin bad!!!). The engine is perfect!!! Well long story short I'm selling the fiero soon and wanted to buy either a 1988-91 bmw 325is, another 240sx, an second edition rx7, or a supra targa turbo 87-92. I'm leaning towards the supra, cause off the power potential and I like how it looks alot. Just wanted to ask a few questions before I get one...
1. What are some off things that should scare me away on a Supra (ie rust in special areas, engine wear, trannies??)
2. How much would a 5 speed W58 or R154 swap cost roughly (most supras are auto :3d_frown: )
3. and any other advice on buying them...

Dunckel

Jan 16, 2007
Spokane, WA
1. Supras are expensive to maintain. BHG is common. Dealer parts cost an arm and a leg. And if it doesn't leak right now, it will.
2. I have never done a tranny swap fortunately. Mine came with the R154. But, if you do decide to lose the A340E, I would say go with the R154. They are much more durable than the W58's, and will handle loads of power.
3. Don't buy one that has been modified already. Unless you receive all documentation of the work that has been done. You might end up buying a good car, or you might end up buying someone else's hack job that will cause more problems in the long run.

Read, read, read. There is a lot of good information on this site. Most questions can be answered before they are ever asked via the search feature. Good luck.

kamikazeee

Jul 14, 2007
Chicago
ah..
just noticed the search thing, it wasn't there before I got registered...
...okay ya thanks that's pretty much all i needed to know...