New IC idea

whudafux

Formerly dcrusupra
Jan 5, 2006
Cullowhee, NC
www.myspace.com
I was just pondering about ICs today. I was thinking of the pros and cons between air to air and air to water ICs. I was thinking, how about air to freon ICs. I'm pretty sure that it cools air faster than water does when the freon is compressed. When it goes from a liquid to a gas it gets really cold. Just looking for some validity. Good idea or not worth the work?

I was recharging my A/C today hence the freon idea.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Nick M said:
Are you suggesting a spray type set up to the outside of the intercooler as with nitrous?

That'd be something to see. Not only expensive but it'd be hard to total up the number of federal laws broken. The violations of EPA Section 609 alone boggle the mind ;).

You could theoretically use the A/C system in the car to do this with some modification but you'd have to shed the heat load somewhere using an external condensor or maybe use it for cabin heat. That way you wouldn't need the heater core ;)

Last edited:

mrnickleye

Love My Daily Driver !
Jun 8, 2005
Mojave Desert, Ca

whudafux

Formerly dcrusupra
Jan 5, 2006
Cullowhee, NC
www.myspace.com
I am not venting the freon into the air. I am well aware that it is a harmful gas/liquid. What im thinking is that it will work pretty much the same way as the a/c does. I'm not done thinking it thru, but apparently it's already been done on the new Ford Lightning (Thank you CKanderson for this information). Now i'm asking, is it a better upgrade than air/air or air/water ICs? How is it performance-wise?

7MGTEsup

Formerly 'Down but not out'
Jun 14, 2005
England
More than likely the power gain would be consumed by the A/C pump as it would be engauged all the time. I think an A/C pump consumes about 10 - 15hp.

BoostFreak

Nov 11, 2005
Ohio
/\ damn beat me to it, yeah all you would be doing is shifting power around not really gaining anything, one thing you oculd to tho is convert it to alchahol..it burns at a much lowe temp, making the compustion chamber adn the intire motor alot cooler

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
jetjock said:
That'd be something to see. Not only expensive but it'd be hard to total up the number of federal laws broken. The violations of EPA Section 609 alone boggle the mind ;).

You could theoretically use the A/C system in the car to do this with some modification but you'd have to shed the heat load somewhere using an external condensor or maybe use it for cabin heat. That way you wouldn't need the heater core ;)
I've seen the ricers do it with their CRx's.:thumbsdow

It is a crime to vent R12, R134, or any industrial refrigerant into the atmosphere.

The Ford Lightning concept from a few years ago had a system to cool the intercooler BEFORE the launch. The truck of course did not make production.