Need help to make choice: new pistons, rods, etc..

Korg77

Mar 31, 2005
Moscow
I think 2jz-gte in my Supra don't realy need to be repaired "right now", but this is not new engine. There is a little diffirence in compression in cilinders, a little oil loses. Not so scary, but i have free time, a magic thing called "family budget" and strong wish to rebuild the motor this summer

I don't want 600+ HP, so i'd like to keep old rods&pistons with new rings. But it's definitely clear that cilinders (dont know the right word) have problems and i need buy new pistons, 86.5 mm

So, this is the only reason of buying. My friends bought Atomic pistons and rods but they goal was nitros. May be i don't really need this?
And - going to spent about $1000-$2000.

GrandLordKhorne

Evil Turbo Penguin...
Jan 3, 2006
South MA, almost RI
I have a set of Greddy H-beam rods and JE pistons going into mine (but I’m doing a pretty wild motor)… If you just want a fresh set of rods the ones that came out have only 40K miles on them and are in killer good shape, I would be happy to cut you a fair price... I'll sell you the old pistons too if yours are messed up for some resin.

For pistons, if your motor is staying stock externally, than stay stock. If not, the best value in my mined is CP pistons.

Korg77

Mar 31, 2005
Moscow
Your old pistons are 86mm in diameter? If "yes", then this is stock diameter pistons, and they will not fit. If it 86.5 mm - it's that i need exectly!

Also, drop the link to site where "CP" shown, please.

Last edited:

GrandLordKhorne

Evil Turbo Penguin...
Jan 3, 2006
South MA, almost RI
As long as you are not going nuts trying to put huge power into the motor, all you really need is the appropriate rings for boring over.

Believe it or not, most engine builders doing stock motors over bored, regardless of the make and as long as it’s not a huge over bore simply put new rings in. You see it all the time in other vehicles, you just don’t see it much in this community because most of the people boring the cylinders want more power and are more concerned about performance than cost. Rings are a little like bearings where they can be ordered in slightly larger sizes in many cases. It all just depends on how much money and power you want to put into the motor.

agentAndy

xatracing.com
Oct 27, 2005
Sarasota
have you tried a oil flush, and cleaning system? You might just have a stuck ring. You need to get all of the compression test numbers as well as leakdown numbers. call toyota and talk to the master tech, ask him if the numbers are within spec. they need to be within 10% of each other, or so.
you should try a BG system flush.

Korg77

Mar 31, 2005
Moscow
yesterdey I'v get a good offer to check cilinder's condition with special video equipment. The only i have do is to remove the sparks