My Supra just blew its headgasket.

tte

Breaking In - in progress
Mar 30, 2005
Northern California
Hi Guys,

I was going on the Dumbarton bridge and half way over the bridge I could feel my car losing power. Lucky for me I had already climbed up the rising slope of the bridge and so I could just coast downhill and off the bridge.

My insurance company could not get a tow truck to tow me because if your car is within a certain distance from the bridge the highway patrol has to tow me to that certain distance where it is legal for tow trucks.

Anyway some old guy driving a California Department of Transportation stopped and helped me out. He used his truck to push my car to the legal distance limit and from there I got a friend who owns a tow truck to tow me home...I think the Highway Patrol would have charged me alot of money too so I saved some money.

Now I know it is the head gasket...3 years ago I rebuilt my engine but did not get the head resurfaced and I used a HKS metal Head Gasket.
I know it had to be smooth but in my stupidity I ignored that fact and installed the head. I could always tell my haed gasket was going by the fact that I could smell that sweet smell, gagrling in the dash, etc. Over the years the head gasket was always in my mind and I knew it would go someday due to my stupidity.

Now here is the question..

1/. Should I take off my head and rebuild it or get a head from a N/A in the local junkyard?

2/. Should I just buy another car and take my time to fix everything on my car?

I do not want to rush my repair again and repeat the same mistakes.

Cheers,
Roy

Last edited by a moderator:

TobyCat

Jul 14, 2006
Vancouver BC
Well if it lasted 3 years that's not so bad ;)

I'd say buy yourself a beater, and take your time. That's what I've done and works out great - cheaper insurance, gas etc.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
I'd pick up a spare head, and get that all ready to go, Roy.
But that would really only be to shy away from downtime... if the car is already down, get cracking on it. If you think it'll take you too long, buy another car for a reliable dd.

tte

Mar 30, 2005
Northern California
My mistake...Its been 3 years since I rebuilt my engine.

I noticed head gasket symptons about months ago....but the car still had plenty of power and never overheated, coolant level was consistent, etc.

I have been meaning to get a spare head and get everything done to it incase my current head gasket goes. I guess now it is the best time.

Well I just checked...For a N/A head from the local junkyard will cost me $95.
I will pull out the head tonite and take it to the machine shop for a quote.

I think I can finish the repair in a week depending on how long the machine shop takes. I might as well get the valves done too.

Cheers,
Roy

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
Not a bad buy for a head ;). I say get the extra one and start prepping. Remeber to replace the bearings and get the head and block machined straight and at the propper RA spec for the next MHG you use.

Back2Basics

Regular
Dec 30, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
If you can, I would just buy a cheap dd and take your time to fix your car properly. I wish I could do that, I know I'd be a lot less stressed about getting my Supra up and running

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
I say get the spare head and get that all ready to go. Your engine is only 3 years old and the head will be brand new. If you can spare not driving for a weekend that should be plenty of time to install a "new" head.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
My back up car is the white 87 Turbo I'm driving now. My plan has been to always have 2, so when one is down, I always have a Supra. I got caught with my pants down when I totalled my 90, and I had to rush the 87 to life. I'm gonna drive it and take my time with my new 89 shell.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
ForcedTorque said:
I got caught with my pants down and I had to rush the 87 to life.

I didn't realize you dated older women Scott................:naughty:

Good luck with the head repair TTE.............lol

tte

Mar 30, 2005
Northern California
Well I will using my head from the car.

I will have it machined on a CBN machine and it will cost me $50 to have the deck machined ready for my HKS metal head gasket.

To do the valves and check if they leak will cost me another $100. I will replace the stem seal myelf...probably have them buy it for me.

These guys build race engines and they machined my block and bought all the bearings and shit like that for me alot cheaper than if i was to buy it myself. And they have done work for supra engines.

I am thinking if i should reuse my HKS gasket and use copper spray or buy a new metal head gasket....
I dont want to have this problem again just because my head gasket was not upto it.
What RA should i have the head machined to?

Cheers,
Roy

tte

Mar 30, 2005
Northern California
I took the head in today to the machine shop.
Real friendly guys who know what they are doing.

For $300 they will :

1/. Remachine deck to right finish on CBN machine for HKS metal head gasket.
2/. Regrind valves, valve seats. (valves were leaking)
3/. Install new valve guides
4/. Install new valve seals which I provided.
5/. Hot tank head.

What do guys think?
I will do the shimming myself and lap the block in the car and if need be I will lap head on surface plate at work.

Cheers,
Roy

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
That's an average price for what they are asking, most of that cost is in the valve guides I'd say. You shouldn't need to lap the head once they are done with it, just make damn sure you get the block lapped correctly and check with a straight edge.