my dome lights dont work

uberness408

ex supra ownwer
May 12, 2006
california
like the title says the just dont work..i fixed em one day all i did was take it off the roof and put it back on and it worked but now it just shut off and i have no idea how to fix it..all my other lights work just the lights on the roof are broken

DyslexicSquirrel

Busy Member
Mar 9, 2006
San Marcos, TX
you guys may have just saved me a broken dome light! LOL! Thanks guys...

i have one of those "OEM" interior panel pry bars from autozone that has been like my best purchase ever...

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
There are a few ground wires riveted in that tend to corrode once you give the mounting screws a wiggle the lights will work again!
(mine haven't worked on the door switches since I got the car in 1997 and I only fixed it earlier this year)

SupraDerk

The Backseat Flyer
Sep 17, 2005
Tallahassee
IJ said:
There are a few ground wires riveted in that tend to corrode once you give the mounting screws a wiggle the lights will work again!
(mine haven't worked on the door switches since I got the car in 1997 and I only fixed it earlier this year)

Sorry to jump in this thread real quick but...

YES!!! FINALLY IJ!!! You misspelled RIVET! :wiggle: +1 to you

haha, now back to your regularly scheduled thread topic :naughty:

DyslexicSquirrel

Busy Member
Mar 9, 2006
San Marcos, TX
OK I just popped that thing off in like 5 seconds with that little tool. YAY! Except it still doesnt quite work... so what am I supposed to be doin' in here... there are like 50 rivets in here...

I have it right in front of me

I'm going to search through some other threads but any direct help here would be greatly appreciated...

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
its easy, just one of the two that clip onto the harness. i think mine was the first one as you're looking at it able to see all the wires, with the bulbs closest to you. when in doubt, take a punch and use a small bolt on the other side, just tap the rivets tighter and they should make a dandy connection.

DyslexicSquirrel

Busy Member
Mar 9, 2006
San Marcos, TX
WEEEEEEEE!!! Done!!! Like an hour ago... but it turned out to be the rivets after all. What took the most time was retrieving screws I dropped to the side of the seat. This is the first job that I've done in a while that I didn't come out +1 or -1 on screw count ;) LOL!

OK, well thanks for all the help you guys... I'm so glad it's finally done!

the1andonly0032

Jan 18, 2006
Iowa
yeah I have the same problem all I've done is popped off the cover of the lights and then got too scared to get started. what rivots are you guys talking about and how much do I have to disassemble to get to it because it looks like it would be easy to overdisassemble and have trouble getting it all back together. I see small screws and big screws when I'm looking underneath the cover where should I start.

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
its pretty damn easy as far as screws go. just two or three big ones, then take a punch or something similar and tap the rivets down.