My aching back...

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
I was going to begin tearing my car apart today to fix a BHG but bending over the front end was killing my lower back so I was beginning to consider having it done at a local shop. What's the average cost to repair a bhg in a 7MGE. I know there are some of you who have had it done and what did it cost you? I already have an extra head resurfaced and the head gasket itself. Since it is Sunday the shop isn't open so can't call and ask. Also wanted to get a heads up. thanks

Ken

dejacky

Jun 12, 2005
"taxus"
$500 is a fair price. This is not rocket science, it just requires some elbow grease and intelligent use of chemicals to clean block and head mating surfaces.

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
johnathan1 said:
You have a BHG? I thought you just fixed your rod knock problem?

I did by swapping USED engines. The second I swapped had a rod knock also and then the third ended up having a bhg. The bottom end still sounds good...for now. So I decided to just fix this one. I kept one of the other engines to try and rebuild myself. I learned my lesson in regards to used 7M engines out of a wrecking yard. Never again. Somebody on SM told me a long time ago to assume all used 7M's have a rod knock or BHG and he was right.

JB91389

decisions...decisions...
Jun 22, 2006
Ottawa
I getting mine done right now....about $1300 CAD including parts ie gasket set, ARP studs, Cometi HG...

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
instead of fucking with used motors that have rod knock and BHGs why dont you just rebuild the entire thing so you know its good?

suprahooked

Built 7M
Jun 20, 2006
pa
lagged said:
instead of fucking with used motors that have rod knock and BHGs why dont you just rebuild the entire thing so you know its good?
Thats what i did and glad i did:evil2:

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
lagged said:

I've got a complete spare engine that's got "the knock" and I plan on doing a rebuild on it. I want to take my time with it and do it right. Meanwhile, I'll just fix the 7M mo-fo that's in it now so I can drive and enjoy it until the other engine is rebuilt. I'm tired of just staring at it in my driveway. I'm sure many of you can relate. Before anyone starts suggesting a N/A-T or 1JZ swap, I'm already considering it. I will take suggestions on mods for the upcoming GE rebuild though.