my 1jz build list (first jz please give input)

torch'd

Sep 18, 2007
detroit, MI
so i have 2 nissan 240sx's. a 89 coupe and a 92 coupe.... the 92 has a sbc. its a fun lil hybrid that scares people here locally.

for the 89 my ka is on its last leg, so i decided i wanted another hybrid. sr-overdone rb-hella expensive rotary-sweet but no torque ls1- yawn i have a v8 240.

so i decided to go 1jz since i cant find a 2jz around.

my list so far.

1jz auto trans swap
7mgte trans (have from old project)
thinking of using stock computer (idk abotu this yet)
single turbo (have hx35, idk if thats big enough)
using custom 1 piece Al driveshaft.

so thats what im looking at so far. hoping for 350 rwhp to start. i just love how these engines sound and always wanted one in my mkIII but it had too many issues.

what do you think of that build list. anything else major i need? this will be my dd essentially so i dont need 700hp (yet) lol.

its also late (1am here) so sorry i didnt search a ton ill do more research tomorow.

great great cars you guys love what im seeing so far.

ttyl

johnny

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
There are tons of writeups on here about 1jz swaps, but you might be the first putting one in a nissan. Are you buying a clip or just the engine? Most of the parts you need can be found at www.driftmotion.com

torch'd

Sep 18, 2007
detroit, MI
thanks for the sight... as per whole clip i wasnt sure if it was worth it cause i was told not to use the 1jz manual tansmission.

um and wow you have a decent sized little turbo there.... nice car, hit me up on aim... j0hnny 5t0rm

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Why would you not use the manual transmission? You're going to have to have a special driveshaft anyways. The stock automatic is the one I would stay away from.

I have a gt35r, but it is kinda little compared to most turbos. I love the way it spools though.

torch'd

Sep 18, 2007
detroit, MI
yeah... i heard the stock manual tranny was week on the 1jz's, (def nto going auto) i was going to use the 7m manual trans my friend has, but if you say the 1jz trans will hold drifting and smashing vipers and vettes on the freeway then thats good enough for me. 1 less step for me.

also what import sites are the best?

johnny

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
The 1jz uses the same manual transmission as the 7mgte. They both use the R154. The only site I go to very often is this one. There's also www.supraforums.com but the people over there get on my nerves pretty regularly, unlike here where the people are a little more cool.

You said you were hoping for 350rwhp to start with, and that's not going to be enough to mess with the vipers. You can kill most C4's , but the C5's will be a little tough and the C6's will own you pretty regularly. You can make more horsepower with the 1jz though. I was making 543rwhp on mine before I pulled it out for the 2jz bottom end.

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
Do the holset, don't make me the only one dumb(or smart) enough to do the swap to one. I am going to use a XSpower manifold, as it is the only one that I know of with a t3 flange. It should be an inexpensive setup. I got the manifold, DP and IC for ~600 or so, add in a walbro and some 440cc injectors along with an SAFC and you should be good. I am expecting full spool around 3500-4k and a pull strait to redline (2jz cams machined to fit). Should be tons of fun.
IIRC you will need a front sump setup for a 240, so make sure to get a chaser 1jz.

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
I'd use one of the vendors here for the motor, rather than risk some random internet site. I second the Holset option, you can easily hit 350rw with that turbo, with potential up to 500ish, maybe more. As Jay said, the 1JZ and 7MGTE use the same transmissions. I'd recommend 2JZ (or 264) cams, as well. The stock computer with a piggyback like the SAFC would be more than adequate for 350rwhp and well beyond that, as well. Again, as forever suggested, 440cc injectors along with a Walbro 255lph fuel pump will pretty much take care of you.

Do some searching, there have been a ton of 1J'd 240s and I think we might even have a few on the site.

bexe

Apr 7, 2008
louisville, ky
go to 2jzswap.com they have quality kits made for this swap; Use the manual tranny it will hold the power all day long; it is pretty straight forward once you have the motor in if you have done swaps before. I have an s14 and a good list of stuff for it to swap out my sr and the jz in, the tech 2 guys have been very helpful though. There is also on Zilvia search ruckus racing in dayton ohio they make a cheap way out kit that is tempting for your power goals and since you already have the driveshaft.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
How do you know your one piece ds is going to work, unless you know someone that's did this swap already, and got the measurements for you? Hopefully it will work, because they aren't cheap.

torch'd

Sep 18, 2007
detroit, MI
awesome guys thanks a lot for the info.

few things... messing with vettes i'm relying on light weight. with my 305 and th350 the car weighs under 2400 lbs with me in it and half tank... friends rb25 modded a little but on stock turbo hangs with most vipers around here when it gets traction because these guys really really suck at driving, hehehe

the hx35, glad to hear for the price i got mine for can't beat it so happy about that... when you say pulls to redline, what is redline on these motors? im used to my 305 and ka which only rev to 6.

so if everyone eventually switches to a 2jz bottom end and uses 2jz cams whats the benefit of starting with a 1jz?? i'm hoping cost but i'm going to look into that.

again thanks for all the info. and i think ive decided to pull out my sbc and go 1j in that car... the rust free chassis seems like a better starting point.

alright thanks guys.

ttyl

johnny

torch'd

Sep 18, 2007
detroit, MI
suprahero... i had a custom one made for the sbc... and will have another one custom made by the same guy. its not made yet.

thanks for the concern.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
torch'd;1025449 said:
awesome guys thanks a lot for the info.

few things... messing with vettes i'm relying on light weight. with my 305 and th350 the car weighs under 2400 lbs with me in it and half tank... friends rb25 modded a little but on stock turbo hangs with most vipers around here when it gets traction because these guys really really suck at driving, hehehe

the hx35, glad to hear for the price i got mine for can't beat it so happy about that... when you say pulls to redline, what is redline on these motors? im used to my 305 and ka which only rev to 6.

so if everyone eventually switches to a 2jz bottom end and uses 2jz cams whats the benefit of starting with a 1jz?? i'm hoping cost but i'm going to look into that.

again thanks for all the info. and i think ive decided to pull out my sbc and go 1j in that car... the rust free chassis seems like a better starting point.

alright thanks guys.

ttyl

johnny

it would pretty much be cost. you can get a 1jz for 800$ and a 2jz is 1000$ more.

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
torch'd;1025449 said:
johnny

Redline is 7200 rpm, and Jon @ MDC motorsports hit 550whp with his HX35, so I am sure the 1jz can do the same or better.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
foreverpsycotic;1025531 said:
Redline is 7200 rpm, and Jon @ MDC motorsports hit 550whp with his HX35, so I am sure the 1jz can do the same or better.

makes me wonder what the rod bolts are rated to on the 2jz bottom end

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN

A lot of MkIII guys go 1.5JZ because they already had a 1JZ and wanted more displacement, but already had a nice turbo set up. 1Js are easier to swap in, as well. 1.5JZs run off of 1J electronics so it's basically just an easier to swap in 2JZ.

torch'd

Sep 18, 2007
detroit, MI
awesome so custom manifold hx35 it is.

should i buy the whole swap with trans and everything or should i just pull a manual from a 7m we have here locally (already semi in my possesion.

johnny

torch'd

Sep 18, 2007
detroit, MI
gotcha gotcha.

so the only remaining question is a reputable site to order an engine/trans harness and all from. i looked cant find anyone int he sponsors that imports engines.

well again thanks fr the info. looks like anice little stock 1jz with a hx should suit me finely to start

johnny

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
If you get a front clip with the bellhousing and flywheel and stuff, swap the whole shindig in from the 1J car.

PM Bigaaron from Driftmotion or Jose from Kaizen