multiple problems

RonPence

Aug 28, 2007
NewBoston, Oh
i have a 90 7mge 5-speed and the car has not run right since i purchased it.
i noticed my check engine light was burnt out so i took the dash apart and realized someone had removed it. well i replaced the bulb and checked for codes i got 21, 51, and 52. the car seems to be down on power and idles around 1,400 rpm! i looked up the codes but wanted an opinion on where to begin. if the tps is bad will the one off my 87 turbo work? i dont have that car here and i am not surre if they are the same. the car dosent want to run at all when it cold it just spits and sputters but when it comes FULLY up to temp it run out smooth but misses slightly at an idle.

Last edited:

SevenMKIII

No more Supra no more fun
Jan 13, 2007
Central IL
RonPence said:
i noticed my check engine light was burnt out so i took the dash apart and realized someone had removed it.

What some people will do to "fix" a problem...:3d_frown: But you're smarter than that!

I have a pre and post 89 TPS if you need one. Try adjusting yours first, could just be out of spec. If it's dead shoot me a PM.

Last edited:

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
TSRM said:
Oxygen Sensor Signal
Diagnosis
Detection of oxygen sensor deterioration.
Trouble Area
Oxygen sensor circuit
Oxygen sensor
ECU

check the wires on your o2 sensor. sometimes they get brittle and break. if the o2 sensor is bad, replace it.

TSRM said:
51 Switch Signal
Diagnosis
No "IDL" signal, "NSW" signal or "A/C" signal to ECU, during diagnosis check.
Trouble Area
A/C switch circuit
A/C switch
A/C amplifier
Throttle position sensor circuit
Throttle position sensor
ECU

check to make sure the linkage isn't stuck on the throttlebody. if it is, fix it. if you still idle high, check the specs on the TPS. here's how: http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?Section=FI&P=100

TSRM said:
52 Knock Sensor Signal
Diagnosis
Open or short circuit in knock sensor signal.
Trouble Area
Knock sensor circuit
Knock sensor
ECU

first, check to make sure both knock sensors are plugged in, however-
most commonly, your knock sensor wire(s) are brittle, broken, shorting to ground. do the SOGI rewire, and that'll likely cure the problem. here's how: http://www.supras.com/06/techcenter/display.php?QID=69

-shaeff

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
^ haha, we think so much alike it's scary! i wasn't going to mention that!

-shaeff

smagnotta

SuprSal
Apr 5, 2005
WashPa
if the tps is bad will the one off my 87 turbo work?

The TPS is different for pre 89 and post 89 Supras since the throttle bodies are slightly different. The pre 89 ones have a blue tag and the post 89s have a red tag. Since this is a post 89 car you need the red tag. Check out the color of the TPS tag because the previous owner(s) may have slipped a pre89 throttle body in there with a blue tagged TPS...

There are other differences too but the color gives it away and if you order it from Toyota they mention the color because it is a handy way to reference them.

^^ Someone just stated they have both.