Muffler Recommendations

RIPDOTCOM

May 22, 2005
Tallahassee, FL
Can someone recommend a good performance muffler that isnt loud. I am just looking for a nice low tone that will perform well with a 2.5" exhaust.

macsupra76

May 17, 2005
Calgary AB
cannot help u there, loud is good, straight 3" not cats...yeah
just kidding. i really like mine, its a cheap reactive 3", but is sounds great. check out flowmaster and magnaflow too.

Squid699

Manic Mechanic
Mar 30, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
rakkasan said:
Flowmasters suck, in both sound & performance

Magnaflow sound great & flow great. After switching from flowmaster to magnaflow, I hit fuel cut.

beat me to it. I have a flowmaster on now and all it is is loud, obnoxious and restrictive. When I had the NA it was ok, but it's stifling my NA's performance. I can't wait to upgrade to 3" and putting a straight-through Magnaflow

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
Squid699 said:
beat me to it. I have a flowmaster on now and all it is is loud, obnoxious and restrictive. When I had the NA it was ok, but it's stifling my NA's performance. I can't wait to upgrade to 3" and putting a straight-through Magnaflow

I recommend.....

14359.jpg

unless you like fart cans. I picked it up on Ebay for $90.00 shipped. I think the part # is 14359

Squid699

Manic Mechanic
Mar 30, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
I was actually going to go with the 14221 Stainless 3" center inlet, dual 2.5" out - make it look somewhat stock :evil2:

PS I hate fart cans and anything that looks like a goddamn N1

14u2c

RAFO
Mar 31, 2005
four-one-three
RIPDOTCOM said:
Can someone recommend a good performance muffler that isnt loud. I am just looking for a nice low tone that will perform well with a 2.5" exhaust.
Stick with the factory turbo muffler and eliminate the cat and resonator.

Squid699

Manic Mechanic
Mar 30, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
14u2c said:
Stick with the factory turbo muffler and eliminate the cat and resonator.

he said performance muffler :icon_bigg If you want performance you need to go with a bigger exhaust diameter......thereby making the stock muffler useless

PynkEye

Mar 30, 2005
Squid699 said:
I was actually going to go with the 14221 Stainless 3" center inlet, dual 2.5" out - make it look somewhat stock :evil2:

PS I hate fart cans and anything that looks like a goddamn N1

cant find urs on the site, Im gonna get me this one 14834 race series http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopexd.asp?zone=main&id=795 Race series, 3in inlet, 4in tip..oval body..Hope it sound bad ass lol..gonna go 3in from elbow to muffler...no cats no nothin...just 3in till muffler.

jester1341

topless and blown
Mar 30, 2005
Western Maryland
i agree with everyone sofar.....but i would say if your trying to save the dallas.... go eBa

OR

gut your exsisting muffler and make it a hollow!![if your crafty enough ;) looks stock]

john

fatMKIII

Drifter 4 Life!
Jun 23, 2005
Orange County, CA
PynkEye said:
cant find urs on the site, Im gonna get me this one 14834 race series http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopexd.asp?zone=main&id=795 Race series, 3in inlet, 4in tip..oval body..Hope it sound bad ass lol..gonna go 3in from elbow to muffler...no cats no nothin...just 3in till muffler.

lmk how that muffler sounds....i've yet to hear one.....i'm apexi n1 turbo right now and dont really have any complaints..... dunno why everyone is anti N1...... :nono:

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
I am looking at new exhaust options... does anyone have a link to where I can check out the Magnaflow reviews... as far as sound, exterior and interior resonance? Like the Flowmaster site has...

I have an old-skewl HKS that sounds great, but used to get on my nerves sometimes on the resonance sound-level in the cab.

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
I like the way that Flowmaster shows the sound levels for the exterior and interior. The HKS has that "drone" that gives me a headache, combined with the bass coming from the sub.

No, it's not the sub alone. At certain RPMs, that drone/resonance is what does it. When cruising at highway speeds, I don't remember it being a problem. Either way, I love the sound outsid, but I need that interior level to go way down. Would adding a resonator do the trick?

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
Satan said:
I like the way that Flowmaster shows the sound levels for the exterior and interior. The HKS has that "drone" that gives me a headache, combined with the bass coming from the sub.

No, it's not the sub alone. At certain RPMs, that drone/resonance is what does it. When cruising at highway speeds, I don't remember it being a problem. Either way, I love the sound outsid, but I need that interior level to go way down. Would adding a resonator do the trick?

Resonators help quite a bit.

mrnickleye

Love My Daily Driver !
Jun 8, 2005
Mojave Desert, Ca
RIPDOTCOM said:

Last March I did the exhaust... And wrote this last July on SF...

I read on this forum recently that a 3" (75mm) exhaust is the way to go. That is only true for the turbo version.... Wide open breathing.... Quick spoolup of the turbo. ...Higher RPMs.

But...for a naturally aspirated motor, (and NOT a track only car) you want 'some' back pressure to give you higher torque at the lower RPM's. (You know, 0 to 60 MPH). And remember, these cars are very heavy (mine is 3800 lbs).

Much research led me to run a 2.5" (62mm) pipe from the Cat Converter all the way out. I went with a Magnaflow straight thru muffler (packing inside). It was too loud for me because it is at the end of the pipe, and it created an awful drony deep tone at cruising of 2k RPMs. So...I ADDED a 24" straight thru glass packed, 4" diameter muffler in the middle of the system (middle of car). Now it has a great sound, with an unresticted flow, and just enough back pressure to keep my torque high at lower RPMs.

So....today, Oct 05

Its been great, with a deep sporty sound, but not a bother inside. I really am happy with it.
The Magnaflow was like the one mentioned earlier up, but 2 1/2". I had the system built and put in at the local muffler shop. Be sure to ask around town for who does the best job, as I've seen some very bad work out there.

It is an 'art' to make a nice system, and beautiful welds.