Moving to Sacramento this summer

89Turbo

Oct 22, 2005
Portland
so im moving there this summer becuase i got accepted to UTI and i start in July, my question to you is, is there anything i need to be prepped on moving from Portland Oregon. weird laws?, im assuming theres lots to do, is there any kind of a streetracing scene?, lots of speedshops around? how anal are the cops? any and everything you wanna tell me about Cali before i get there. i've only been once and i was like 8.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
89Turbo said:
so im moving there this summer becuase i got accepted to UTI and i start in July, my question to you is, is there anything i need to be prepped on moving from Portland Oregon. weird laws?, im assuming theres lots to do, is there any kind of a streetracing scene?, lots of speedshops around? how anal are the cops? any and everything you wanna tell me about Cali before i get there. i've only been once and i was like 8.

I'll let one of the Cali locals prep you on the goofy California laws.

Are you just visiting? Or are you actually changing residence to there? Like will you be registering your car in Cali?

If so, I feel for you.

The "Entering California" signs at the border really should just read "Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter"...

89Turbo

Oct 22, 2005
Portland
Supracentral said:
I'll let one of the Cali locals prep you on the goofy California laws.

Are you just visiting? Or are you actually changing residence to there? Like will you be registering your car in Cali?

If so, I feel for you.

The "Entering California" signs at the border really should just read "Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter"...

well i am going to be down there for 18months which is how long the course is and the UTI recruiter guy reccomended that i leave the car registered in Oregon, but is that legal?

BorHor said:
There are a bunch of supras in sac. Umm Jawgear is based there. check out http://ncsforums.com/forum/index.php the forum is not really known but many people from sac use it. Oh and try the norcal section on SF

Laws.. Get a Cat on.

meaning if i get pulled over they are going to check? it doesnt smoke at all.

JustAnotherVictim

Supramania Contributor
89Turbo said:
well i am going to be down there for 18months which is how long the course is and the UTI recruiter guy reccomended that i leave the car registered in Oregon, but is that legal?

Nope.

The only way you can get away with that is if you can prove that you spend half the year in Oregon.

They'll make you try to register in CA.
If you can get away with it, don't.

89Turbo

Oct 22, 2005
Portland
JustAnotherVictim said:
Nope.

The only way you can get away with that is if you can prove that you spend half the year in Oregon.

They'll make you try to register in CA.
If you can get away with it, don't.

why do you say, "try" to register in CA?

89Turbo

Oct 22, 2005
Portland
JustAnotherVictim said:
As I said, if you can prove you spend half your time in Oregon they can't make you register.
They will try to make you, if you can't prove it they will make you register.

ok but i dont spend half my time in Oregon i will be down there non-stop for 18 months, honestly i might even end up living there for good so i will just go ahead and register, which is probably going to be super tough. shame on me for removing all that emissions crap and running a test pipe. whats that gunna run me to register(ballpark) and thanks for your quick responses.

ma71supraturbo

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Redding, CA
www.geocities.com
You're going to have to register it in Cali.

Honestly your best bet is to befriend some local with a stock MK3. Have them smog their car (but put your VIN on the paperwork).

Otherwise be preparred for an exceptionally anal smog check for an out-of-state vehicle (I just did it on my ex-Washinton '85 supra)

89Turbo

Oct 22, 2005
Portland
ma71supraturbo said:
You're going to have to register it in Cali.

Honestly your best bet is to befriend some local with a stock MK3. Have them smog their car (but put your VIN on the paperwork).

Otherwise be preparred for an exceptionally anal smog check for an out-of-state vehicle (I just did it on my ex-Washinton '85 supra)

wow that sounds horrible. anything else people?

ma71supraturbo

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Redding, CA
www.geocities.com
Well, your mod list doesn't look too bad. You might be able to sneak by with your intake (depends on your tech, I'd give it a 75% chance of passing visual). You will need to find a stock primary cat, and if you are still running your stock DP you should be good.

If your boost controller has neon blue vacuum hose, you might want to temporarily remove it in case you get a nazi tech... (I had a smog tech make me remove the SOGI cold air induction mod)

As far as tailpipe numbers, if you could pass Portland's smog test, you can probably pass California's. The most common cause of CA supras failing is running too rich so make sure your O2 & coolant temp sensor wirings are good.

240esseckz

Dec 12, 2006
sacramento\vallejo
i hear they are cracking down on modifieds in sacramento. I read somewhere that local police have gotten over 10 million dollars in federal money to crack down on modified vehicles...they are mostly crackin down hondas, and 240s with SRs...(from what i have seen) i own a 240, and i have never gotten pulled over (in sacramento area atleast)...just don't smash all over the place and look somewhat stock, and you should be fine...and i dont think you would have to re-register in ca. as long as your registration isnt due...you should be fine...just tell them you're visiting. or even you just are doing some school...I used a nevada plate for about 2 years before changing back to cali...and never got messed with...

suprastanger507mgte

2x88+2x89+1x91+2x92=ME
Apr 5, 2005
Hayward , Ca
Well, you can drive around in your car in Sacramento. I drive my car there all the time. Just don;t be an ass and go street racing ar every stoplight..cause that is what catches the cops eyes. Don't go cruining on Sunrise blvd, your car WILL BE impounded....every hal a mile, there is a cop and a tow truck....

JUst drive your car with your state licence...There are many cars like that driving around, ....don't register here unless you have to. Otherwise, Sac is okay.

89Turbo

Oct 22, 2005
Portland
ma71supraturbo said:
Well, your mod list doesn't look too bad. You might be able to sneak by with your intake (depends on your tech, I'd give it a 75% chance of passing visual). You will need to find a stock primary cat, and if you are still running your stock DP you should be good.

If your boost controller has neon blue vacuum hose, you might want to temporarily remove it in case you get a nazi tech... (I had a smog tech make me remove the SOGI cold air induction mod)

As far as tailpipe numbers, if you could pass Portland's smog test, you can probably pass California's. The most common cause of CA supras failing is running too rich so make sure your O2 & coolant temp sensor wirings are good.

black hose on the boost controller, aftermarket downpipe, i should probably turn down the boost if im gunna put a stock cat back on, but only need it on to pass right, not constantly?

im getting a mixed review on registering my car there or leaving it in Oregon...................

240esseckz said:
i hear they are cracking down on modifieds in sacramento. I read somewhere that local police have gotten over 10 million dollars in federal money to crack down on modified vehicles...they are mostly crackin down hondas, and 240s with SRs...(from what i have seen) i own a 240, and i have never gotten pulled over (in sacramento area atleast)...just don't smash all over the place and look somewhat stock, and you should be fine...and i dont think you would have to re-register in ca. as long as your registration isnt due...you should be fine...just tell them you're visiting. or even you just are doing some school...I used a nevada plate for about 2 years before changing back to cali...and never got messed with...

wow i though cops around here we bad. Cali is NO joke.

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
89Turbo said:
wow that sounds horrible. anything else people?

well just to add my input. I just moved to sac and giving the fact that my mk3 is still on jackstands I been hunting around for friendlys and also a tech that can smog it. my friend knows this shop where the guy will smog damn near any car as long as its not too noticable. so thats where I'm going. you said your gonna be here around the summer time to attend UTI, cool. by then I'll have my ride situated and running strong. but when it comes down too it I wouldn't trip on the local cops. just don't don't put yourself out there to be pulled over.