Molding Mod

86.5 n/a

May 24, 2006
north carolina
Im just wonderring if anyone has ever seen or shaved there molding/trim on an mkiii. If so would you post a pic of it or direct me to a website! porfavor!:love: :naughty:

Duds

King Awesomo
Jun 24, 2005
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
MR_1.jpg

MR_2.jpg

MR_3.jpg

MR_4.jpg

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
eww.
IMO we need the sidemouldings to break up the body. I like them.
For some reason, though, I like Randy's car more than the black one there...

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
i agree with supra90. the right rear quarter panel in that last pic doesnt look right and needs some sort of divider...but randy's car for some reason is just great

trydrew

Suprafied
Nov 4, 2005
Earth
Yeah, its hard to explain the effect that the moldings have on the look of the mk3. IMO It looks clean in black w/o them, but i would to break up the odd corner at the bumper/turn sig./nose piece/fender area on the blk car, id get some tinted turn signal covers. That'd look hot.

Itd be a cool thing to do, but too many times have my moudlings saved my car from impending damage...

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
It's nice looking from the side, but I agree on it breaking up the lines. The rear quarters just look odd without them, maybe its that bomex rear molded in that makes it look so fat. And where the front turn signals go into the body, It looks like its missing something on the fender.

billspreston01

Jun 2, 2005
North Carolina
there's a ton of ways to do it...weld a strip of metal in there, sand it down, and use body filler, fill the majority of the gap with fiberglass and then bondo over top, fill the whole thing with bondo, fill it with dog poo....choose your way of doing it.

I'm probably gonna be going this route because I don't like the idea of water sitting behind my mouldings and rusting out my door skins. I'm unsure of the method I'll be using, depends on how much time/money I decide to put into it, or who I end up having do it.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
Don't just bondo it shut... you'll regret it sooner than you think.
Do it once, do it right. Weld steel in the gap and fill the small gaps with bondo.
If you do it REALLY good, you can just weld the steel in, grind, sand and paint. No bondo necessary.

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
Well - bodywork i'm kinda scared of doing - cause its so easy to screw up! The only thing really wrong with my mouldings, are the front ones that the side repeaters sit in have started to warp and twist - and they dont look very pretty. I'd ideally like to get replacement ones, although not sure where from, but was asking about altogether removing them in case it was easier than it looked - obviously not! :D

westonboege

May 25, 2005
providence RI
im new at bodywork too... just had to cut and weld some rust out of my wheel well... didnt turn out too bad...

i would love to shave the mouldings but i cant afford the repaint the whole car yet.. someday ... hehe

thesandymancan

a.k.a: mittens
Mar 7, 2006
boise, idaho
i like it but the car looks great with the molding too. if there was a way to just get rid of the sidemarkers, i would definitely do that. wasn't someone talking about carbon molding? that would be swweeeet!