MK3 carrier replacement

WangMK3

Jul 25, 2024
Anyone got any input on changing their carrier bearing? This is the old one, bearing got pushed back or housing got pushed forward. Changed out the entire carrier and now I can get the DS to go into the trans and bolted to the diff but the mounting holes for the carrier is about an inch back from the holes on the body side. Vise versa getting the bolts started for the carrier makes the DS an inch short from touching the yoke on the diff. Yes I know a one piece is the way to go but the car will be getting a non vvti 2JZGE/W58 swap in the near future and I don’t want to get a one piece now for it to not work after the swap. Car is currently a n/a 7M with the auto trans. TIA

Attachments

• IMG_2518.png
    IMG_2518.png
    4.4 MB · Views: 2

alcyon

Jun 15, 2017
Kuala Lumpur
I am not too sure what exaclty is the problem, but i recommend bolting the rear section after installing this bearing. With only the front end of DS slot the bearing in from behind the center mounting on the chassis, not from underneath. The carrier bearing is designed to be slotted from behind, that way once its in you can let go and it wont fall. Check theat your splines are clean and rust free. If they are rusted apply some naval jelly and let it sit for 5 minutes then wash off.

Bru

Feb 28, 2013
Tampa Bay Area
Here's a photo from my 1987 service manual showing the little notches in the bearing facing to the rear of the car. In the online 1990 manual this is not as clear, since they don't circle it. Also be aware that the drive shaft needs to be "in phase" to minimize vibration. Here's a photo from my 87 service manual, and a link to the online manual.

Center Bearing.JPG

1990 online manual reference.

Reactions: 57Bonus